_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Size does matter Verlinden Camel
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 04:36 PM UTC
Questions are asked regards size of Verlinden figures.
Figure this out. Here we have a picture of five camels.
Two are 54mm (1/32nd) - hint - see top row. Two are 1/35th - hint - see bottom row.
Then we have the interloper, top right, so called 1/35th produced by Verlinden . I mean to say, 1/35th Verlinden, come on!
Must be a camel on steroids.
Like people, camels come in varying sizes you say, just like people.
Try basing the Verlinden and Master Box together. Good luck to you.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 03:22 AM UTC
The Masterbox version looks like a horse/camel hybrid! Didn't know those two species could interbreed!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Does it really? What is the average height/weight of a camel??? I have seen all sorts of camels in herds in Iraq and there is no one standard sized camel. They do come in all shapes and sizes and I don't think it really matters, esp. in 1/35 scale.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC
Who knows whose camel is correct. Unless I had the average height of a camel and the measurements of the mini I can't form an opinion, but the world's tallest camel is said to be 3 meters tall.

Edit: Actually found a video of it check about 40 seconds in.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLI9bx4DaM
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Is that 3 meters to the top of it's head, shoulder, or hump?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does it really? What is the average height/weight of a camel???

It's not the height or weight in question...it's the anatomy. The Master Box's beast is very horse-like from it's chest to just before the rear leg. In contrast, all the other examples (whether properly scaled, or not) are more anatomically correct. The Tradition one also looks strangely mal-proportioned.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 06:30 AM UTC
Not to the OP. He is all upset over the size differenes between them.
CaptnTommy
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 08:43 AM UTC
I am 6foot 6 inches ... I choose the big one at least my feet wouldn't drag. Besides, it LOOKS like a camel!!!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 09:02 AM UTC
https://marlenaburrows.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/joe-camel.jpg

RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 10:28 AM UTC
Either way, this was part reason for Mr Verlinden to smash his molds up and stop manufacturing......critics who slammed Verlinden for over scale and many other topics over the years. I personally think its a shame as I used his products to mod/ convert many figures and the scale issue was good in a way as it gave options for different proportions etc. Anyway he's done now, so let Mr Verlinden scale issues go people.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that 3 meters to the top of it's head, shoulder, or hump?

At 3 meters does it matter? Watching the guy trying to touch it's muzzle and you figure average height guy reaching up over 7 feet and that camel's head was still a couple of feet out of reach, that's a tall camel.

iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC
Thanks people.
My concern is this. Taking all of nature into account, varying heights etc etc and every other variation on this earth. If I pay good money for something that is advertised as being something then that is what I expect. If something is meant to be 1/35th then that is what I am paying for.

My further research tells me that the tallest camel, at least in 2018, was seen at a camel festival, was 3 metres. Mrs Internet tells me that the height, average I guess, is between 1.8 and 2 metres tall to the shoulder.
That works out to a scale height of 57.5 mm.

And regards Verlinden. My understanding via Internet is that the moulds were destroyed and the masters were moved on. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Lots Of Models get some?

I really like the Verlinden camel. Good proportions and looks the part. As I said, try putting the Master Box and Verlinden items together.

After all many are willing to comment about this or that being wrong on someone's model so why not the same with animals.

It is not about driving a person or company out of business. It is about the buyer being aware. You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 03:09 AM UTC
I agree...the Verlinden camel is the best and most realistic-looking camel in the bunch, but it appears to be much closer to 1/32 than 1/35. I have that kit myself and also noted the difference between it and the MB one.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 05:03 AM UTC
Guys, the PRODUCTION molds were destroyed. Production molds are made from "Master" Molds.

The MASTER patterns were not destroyed.

Master pattern - Master Mold - Production master - Production Mold.

Each of these is subject to some shrinkage, and back when he started the shrinkage may have been worse than it is today with the multitude of formulations of resin and RTV.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 07:01 AM UTC
Id use all of them togethet except the mastetbox which is just wrong. Depending on the saddle gear if im not wrong, the tassels and blankets ( pads) might be diffetent for different tribes or peoples. The varying size doesnt bother me because your going to have camels of various ages. Young mid life and old. Mix them up and you or i will be good to go.
 _GOTOTOP