_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
6 pounder or 17 pounder???
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 03:42 PM UTC
Any body happen to know if 59th (Duke of Connaught’s Hampshire) Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Artillery used 6 or 17 pounders? I'm thinking 17s but not finding anything definitive. Planning a CMP C 30 and need to know what ammo boxes to order.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 07:33 PM UTC
You didn’t specify the period to which you are referring but the anti-tank regts were usually equipped with 17pdrs by the time that was available, with 6pdrs being used organically in infantry units.

Anyway, I typed ‘59 anti tank regiment’ into a search engine and look what appeared:

https://www.royalartilleryunitsnetherlands1944-1945.com/59-anti-tank-regt.html

It took me less time than typing this post.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 08:22 PM UTC
I'm gunning ... pardon the pun .... late 43/ early 44. Paint for the C 30 is 42-ish G-3 green and SCC 1a brown, so closer to late 43. If memory is correct full production of the 17 pounder started in mid/ late 42. I figure units in North Africa / Italy would get first bids. How quickly would the Home based units been issued them? I assume they had the 17 pounders when they went to The Continent.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm gunning ... pardon the pun .... late 43/ early 44. Paint for the C 30 is 42-ish G-3 green and SCC 1a brown, so closer to late 43.

Green and Brown really isn't a "proper" combination. The vast bulk of CMPs produced by early 1944 were in SCC.2 Brown. Any disruptive painting (and there should have been some) would be in the M.T.P. 46/4A Mickey Mouse Ear or Foliage patterns in SCC.1a Dark Brown or Black. If the vehicles were not built in Brown, they would have been built painted in Light Stone, for desert//North Africa service. There would be no virtually no G3 painted vehicles at all as G3 was out of service as a paint (and therefore as a build colour) by late 1942 and very few CMPs were built before mid 1942 and fewer still would still be around 2 years later.

Your best bet for a late 43-early 44 scheme, especially if its a No.12 or No.13 cab CMP, is SCC.2 base colour with SCC.14 Black disruptive. No green. :-)

Paul
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 12:23 PM UTC
Seeing production began in 1940 (the No. 13 cab did not come in till late 41.) Wouldn't the early production ones sent to England have been green until end of 41/ beginning of 42? (From what I've read 41/42 time frame they started to transition from green to brown but it did not become regulation till May 42.) The reg for the pattern that sired the Mickey Mouse pattern came in in Nov. 41. From what I gathered, stuff from Canada was factory painted the base color then when the vehicle was re assembled at the destination depot it was camoed. Policy was not to repaint to a new color / pattern until time for a complete overhaul. How often would that have been? It looks like a truck delivered to England around late 41 would have most likely been green and had dark brown or black camo added. Would it have been overhauled before the SCC 15 kicked in? (Of a related nature, about when did the "American" star start getting applied for aerial recognition? I know by D-Day it was the norm, but was it a "last minute" thing, like aircraft invasion stripes , so as to not tip the Germans off, or done earlier? Was the RAF roundel used much prior to, in England? Have not seen many photos of it. But haven't seen many roof top photos either.)
 _GOTOTOP