Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
How to make Mud?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
I make mud by mixing together, white glue diluted with water, acrylic earthy colour, some static grass and some baking soda or baby powder. Apply with an old brush. Then I take a damp brush and wipe it off the tops of details again .... so they show through. Drybrushing and washing of the mud to add some depth, colour variation and realism helps.
Darker mud with a slight gloss to it looks wet, and a matt lighter colour mud loooks dry.
Having both on the same vehicle is a stunning effect ... but not easy to get right!
IMO "less is more" in the case of mud. I like the effect of mud, but not enough to hide detail.

Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
How much mud do you want? This was done with Permascene for ground cover, then painted and oversprayed with Polyurethane. For smaller amounts, the paint/baking soda/white glue/water mix wotks fine.

Art

Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC
I acctually found a pretty good post on it here somewhere, and that is what I use. I can't remember form the top of my head, so I will try to find it. It uses coffee grind for the coonsistancy and I found it to work pretty well.
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:13 AM UTC
Here you go. I have used this since reading the article, and it works good for me.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/34&page=4
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:14 PM UTC
I use white glue dilluted with water and real earth as mud. I brush it on the areas that I need to weather. The amount of ground/earth to be used depends on your preference...

sample result

hope this helps
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi
I saw an article in a magazine once for adding mud to armour. I have tried and it works pretty well.
You will need, soil samples!! paint to match (or as close as possible) the soil (I used humbrol matt 29), white glue,flour and a toothbrush.
Mix the paint,glue and flour together to get a slimy paste. Then either apply the mud with a paintbrush or flick it on with a toothbrush for a more spattered effect. Nick
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 03:27 PM UTC
There are indeed many ways to make mud, and it depends on what you want to depict. I used coffee for this one, after I made the coffee with it . The bonus is that it doesn't need to be coloured as it already has a good mud colour. I mixed it with White Glue and water.

To add just (dried) mud to the vehicle, I mixed some static grass and/or railway scattersand to enamel paint, and 'slapped' it on with a brush, like so..

Just experiment to your harts content on some cheap models to see what works best for you.

Cheers
Henk
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:09 AM UTC
I use a combination of plaster of paris, PVA glue, acrylic gel media, play sand and burnt umber acrylic paint.

Sample pic:

_GOTOTOP