_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Meng - T-72B1
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 02:00 PM UTC
can that be built up w/out ERA or will there be a lotta locator pin holes to fill? been thinking on grabbing one up. thx
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

can that be built up w/out ERA or will there be a lotta locator pin holes to fill? been thinking on grabbing one up. thx

I would guess that you could build it w/out the ERA - but I would expect there to be a fair number of pin-holes and / or slots to fill on both the turret and glacis.

But wouldn't it be simpler to get a T-72-B kit without the ERA? I believe that trumpeter offers that (or maybe it WILL becoming out soon??? ).

I do not know whether all the appropriate hull and turret details for a straight -B w/out ERA are provided in Meng's B1 kit... It seems possible that some -B details may have been re-located or rerouted to accommodate the ERA installation. So one would have to do a little picture searching to maybe ID what things - conduits, etc.- might have to be redone if building a straight B prior to ERA-installation...

Cheers! Bob
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 07:23 PM UTC
Yes, there will be a lot of locating holes to fill. Many of them fall on the textured cast turret parts, as well on the soft vinyl Meng uses for the anti-radiation cladding, which I'm not sure will be as easy to fill as hard styrene.

Go instead for Trumpeter's T-72B, which is also very nice.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-05598-t-72b-mbt--936387
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 01:50 AM UTC
hmmm..., reason for meng is the suspension, already has wrkable tracks, i think, and seperate nadboi bits for the turret. filling holes should be kida simple by pressing putty in the inside surface and jst cut away what squeezes thru. i'l have a look at trumps all the same
 _GOTOTOP