_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-90MS Zvezda 1/35
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hello everyone. I'm going to build a new T-90MS from Zvezda in 1/35 scale, but i've read here, something like that : "It's not going to be very accurate". I've ordered it already, and i would like to know, why people are saying things like that? Can anyone explain me please?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 09:31 AM UTC
I believe that it is a simple case of brand loyalty. I used to think Dragon kits were inherently more accurate. While this is true in large part, it is not necessarily a fact.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 09:36 AM UTC
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda-3675-t-90ms--1117283
Dan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda-3675-t-90ms--1117283
Dan

None of the reviews address the accuracy of the kit.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 11:01 AM UTC

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe that it is a simple case of brand loyalty. I used to think Dragon kits were inherently more accurate. While this is true in large part, it is not necessarily a fact.

Hello, Grzegorz!

I think that both you and Matthew are right. There are companies such as MENG and TAKOM, whose models are wonderful, but NOT EVERYONE wants to build a Tank kit which contains more or less 1,000 parts! I DON'T; I am perfectly happy with MY ZVEZDA T-90. I added a few resin and PE parts, and that is ENOUGH, I can assure you. Some of the modelers in the Russo/Soviet Forums will disagree with me, but I DON'T CARE. I build my models for MY OWN pleasure and no one else'. I say, "If you want to build this ZVEZDA T-90, go ahead and see what you can do with it..."
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 03:18 PM UTC
Grz...;

People do often simply vote on brand-loyalty.

Whether one kit is particularly more accurate then another is really more debatable than worth-while - each will likely do "right" with some or most things, and each will flub some stuff. I wouldn't worry much about the "accuracy" question.

I just picked up the Tiger Model T-90MS 2013-2015 kit. Is it more accurate then Trumpeter's or Zvezda's offerings? I don't KNOW and really don't care! I am pretty sure that all will come out, with some work, looking pretty much like the T-90MS in your posted pics (at least as long as folks do that camo scheme! ).

On the other hand - as a modeler, I AM interested in how well a kit builds, how crisp and well-done the details are (whether "correct" or not), and what the pit-falls and problems are as reported by others who built it. So reading and viewing reviews may help in getting forewarned.

PS: I selected the T-M kit based on comparing reviews and having some working knowledge of competing kits. It has some PE features and details which I think are a bit better-looking then those on competitors, and it was CHEAPER! I am pretty sure that I will alter some of the details, and may get some AM bits to add some to it - because I generally cannot resist doing so!

My 2c. Enjoy the build and share your results! Cheers! Bob
Igorbc
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 - 08:07 PM UTC
I have built a few Zvezda kits which I find to be a good value kits.
Those kits became decent looking once completed.
20190316-131512
This is T 90 built from the box.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 01:32 PM UTC
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 03:00 PM UTC
GRZ...;

Coming along nicely, I see!

About the remote-control MG set-up... Like I said above!

"Whether one kit is particularly more accurate then another is really more debatable than worth-while - each will likely do "right" with some or most things, and each will flub some stuff."

Evidently they changed the configuration of that mount some for the later version (2013-2015...), and Tiger Model didn't catch it. I wonder whether Trumpeter did?

Your plan to swap the Zvezda wheels for Tiger wheels is one of the reasons I chose the Tiger model... It has better wheels.!

I didn't, however, know about Tiger's flub on that MG station... Argh! Again, nobody gets everything right, nor all parts equally well-done. Looks like I'll have to do some surgery and scratch-work to mod the MG station, per your photos. Ah, well. Win some, lose some!

ALL kits can stand a little detailing-up. I like to fix up exposed conduits and cables and such when I can. Appears you may have that bug, too!

Cheers! Bob
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 03:27 PM UTC
I have Trumpeter kit# 09524 "T-90S Modernized 2013". I looked at the parts in sprue N and the instruction sheet. Trumpeter copied the same "mistake" as Tiger Models on the Remote MG station.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 06:00 PM UTC
I wonder... Does anyone sell an AM replacement for that MG station, seeing as both Tiger and Trumpy seem to have blown it on their 2013+ modernized kits?

It looks like the mount itself may be only part of the battle... I suppose that there could be some changes to the turret-roof, seeing as it looks at glance like the big sight drum is now integrated with the MG mount, whereas the earlier version had these things separate?

No. I'm not buying a whole Zvezda kit just for the MG mount!

It turns out that Live Resin does make a detailed replacement mount set...!

Live Resin 35305 1/35 T05B-1 RCWS with 6P49 Kord 12.7mm MG for T-90 and T-90MS

From the pics, it looks mighty nice - much more detailed than any of the kit bits!

Of course, it requires spending another $20+ USD... Argh!

Bob
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 06:11 PM UTC
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 06:16 PM UTC
Yeah. That's the item! I found it and tried to edit in my post, but you beat me to getting that info up!

But yeah, there IS at least one replacement set out there. Looks like I'll be getting one of those to correct my Tiger Model kit...

So, it looks like both Trumpeter and Tiger Model simply used the previous version turret-top and MG mount for their "2013+" kits. Somewhere between lazy and cheap, I think. But, to be fair, we T-90MS kit-buyers were / are actually "fairly warned" of this deal as the box-art clearly shows both mfgr's kits having the older-version MG mount on their 2013+ kits.

If only we actually KNEW that the later version has a different MG set!

Bob
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 03:04 AM UTC
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
Please keep us updated, as your build progresses.
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 06:25 AM UTC
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok than. So, please accept my apologies. But, maybe you haven't noticed. My first post was:"why people saying that the Zvezda kit will not be very accurate"? Did i say: People, don't buy the T-M kit, because the weapon station is incorrect, but only for mod. 2015? Did i say that the Zvezda's kit is the best kit ever? I've just asked why some people thinking that Zvezda is not accurate, if i know it is very accurate. Oh and the most surprising now. I also have T-M kit in my stash, and i know that is very good kit aswell

My 2 Zloty:

I have built more than a few ZVEZDA kits in my time; mainly 1/48 Aircraft, as I am first and foremost, an aircraft modeler. Their 1/48 Pe.2 "Peshka" is a wonderful kit, and I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in building a fine representation of this famous WWII Soviet Aircraft. Of course, I bought several after-market bits and pieces to improve this kit, but I do that with EVERY kit which I choose to build...

Let's see what Grzegorz can do with his ZVEZDA 2015 T-90MS. It really doesn't matter which kit is the BEST representation of a T-90, if one has the skills to turn it into a "show-stopper", does it..?
 _GOTOTOP