_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Guntruck's granddaddy?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:32 PM UTC
Here are a couple shots of my "M15 Special" -- a 40mm Bofors AA gun mounted on an M3 halftrack. Apparently, it was a field-modification done to several halftracks in the Philippines during WWII. It wasn't meant to be used against aircraft -- they used these for "reconnaissance by fire" into suspected ambush points along roads -- thus, a guntruck?

I got the idea from an article in FSM many years ago, then modified a M16 halftrack, scratchbuilt the Bofors and guntub ... minimal markings reflect what I saw in photos. Not much weathering because this model was originally destined for a diorama. Gotta finish it one of these days.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:05 PM UTC
Bob, I love it!
Great job on the gun and the tub. Terrific looking half-track!
Of a note, the name M15 Special was often used on these, although, I believe this example is built on the standard M3.
One thing that I noticed in photos of this Special, is the use of chains as grousers. Any thought to adding these?
This and several others would great to collect from the SPC's of the Marines. I'm truly inspired now!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of a note, the name M15 Special was often used on these, although, I believe this example is built on the standard M3.

Not according to Hunnicut! (Sorry, Ken, but I couldn't resist .... mumble, mumble, dang WalMart backorder, mumble, mumble ...) Hunnicutt says they were converted M16s and M15s, but I agree they look more like converted standard M3s -- it also seems a little senseless to give up that firepower for this. Who knows for sure?

Quoted Text

One thing that I noticed in photos of this Special, is the use of chains as grousers. Any thought to adding these?

OK, I'm not that nuts. #:-) I've tried making my own tire chains and got really frustrated. I think chaining those tracks would drive me absolutely bonkers. It does look pretty cool, though, and historically accurate ....
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not according to Hunnicut!

Ahh "Nuts" to Hunnicutt and his backordered book!

I only have Steve Z.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:25 AM UTC
Howdy Hollowpoint,

Superb work sir! And as Kenc' said, really nice Bofors and tub work. What did you use for reference for both? Did you make drawings? What did you make the gimble out of? What gauge sheet did you use for the tub? What is the atomic weight of an African Swallow?

Tread.

Bob..this thing is screaming to be finshed mate!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Job well done on a truly unique subject Bob!
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:01 AM UTC
hi bob ,, that is one sweet guntruck.
you did a nice job on this.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
Okay, I can't help it, so here goes... as gleaned from my non-Hunnicutted - limited resources.

Before it became the M15, it started it's life designated as Multiple Gun Motor Carriage T28 which mounted a 37mm and two .50 cal.. mounted in the Half Track Car M2. This project was canceled in April of 41.
In June of 42 Headquarters Services and Supply initiated the building of an improvised 37mm self-propelled mounts for Operation Torch. They used the Personnel Carrier M3 and this new vehicle was designated T28E1. Eighty of these were built between July and August of 42.
Deliveries started in February of 43 and they were now designated as M15 and classified as Substitute Standard.
So, in essence, the M15 used the PC M3 as it's chassis.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Thanks to all for the positive comments.

Ken: Squadron's "Half-track in Action" actually seems to have more info about this version than Hunnicutt. Author Jim Mesko says they were "probably" all made from M3s ("although M13s may have also been used...") modified at the Cooper Plains 99th Ordnance Depot in Austrailia. He goes on to say it is unlikely any M15s were used -- the "M15 Special" designation was strictly unofficial.

Tread: The plans were in an old issue of FSM -- I could track it down if someone really wants the info. The FSM plans were useful for the tub and frame, but not much use for the gun itself -- they're pretty simple and are missing several vital details. For the details, I had a bunch of pics I shot of a restored towed Bofors at a veterans event.

The gun barrel was made from an old paint brush handle that had the correct taper. The rest was made from bits of stryrene rod, square stock, sheet, tubing, etc. -- it pays to have a good variety on hand for a project like this. I simplified a few things, but it is meant to be representative, not an exact duplicate.

The tub was made from a single sheet of .015 or .020 styrene scribed and bent. The tubular frame was made from some bendable gray plastic rod a car modeler friend gave me -- he uses it for roll cages ( I want some more of this stuff -- it's awesome!).

I made a Milliputt form to try to vac-form the tractor seats, but failed and ended up using the form as a pattern for lead foil seats. Very delicate, those.

The whole rear bed of the thing had to be scratched on the chassis -- the beauty of this is I kept the entire floor and quad .50 turret from the M16 donor kit to use for another project. A piece of 3/8 inch tubing is the pivot under the whole thing, going into a hole in the floor.

Also note that the cab, lights and other frontend details from the M16 kit also were moved or replaced (Argh! those two-handled jerry cans!).

Ain't got a clue about no swallows .... AAAAAHHHHHhhhh...
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
Great job converting this kit ...scratched the gun!! wow! You have more guts than I do ..lol
Just wanted to say good job .

Rick
 _GOTOTOP