_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
RyeField: Jagdpanther Ausf. G2
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 10:24 PM UTC

Mark Nicodemus takes a look at the Jagdpanther G2 with interior release from Rye Field Models and shares his observations.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 - 12:06 AM UTC
It's a dilemma between this and the takom offering... having built both Panthers from these companies, I can't really make up my mind which one to choose.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 04:40 AM UTC
I too would like to know how this one directly compared with the Takom, especially as I've seen the Takom offering at about twenty or so percent cheaper than the RFM offering.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a dilemma between this and the takom offering... having built both Panthers from these companies, I can't really make up my mind which one to choose.

Hello, Andras!

Too late for a "Comparo-build review" then, isn't it? Did you enjoy building BOTH of the kits?

Speaking for myself, I would prefer to have the kits WITHOUT the Interiors... "Link & Length" Tracks would be preferable to "Indy-Links", as well...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 07:59 AM UTC
Wow Dennis, are you easy to please or what? If you don't want a Jagdpanther with an interior the world is your oyster -or panzer, as it were, as there are a heck of a lot of regular "non-interior" kits offered. Dragon must have at least three with other manufacturers offering similar kits as well. You've got LOTS of choices, my man, so have fun!
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 09:14 PM UTC
Dear Dennis,

I did an in-box comparison of both (they are on my blog) but Armorama does not publish comparisons (for understandable reasons).

The design philosophy of the two kits are different: Takom wants to give you as much detail as possible with the ease of construction kept in mind (although the tracks are somewhat of a pain, and they are not workable), whereas RFM just floods you with detail, and it's up to you if you can handle it... If you want to do something extra (showing the tank being assembled/serviced, then the RFM hands down the better model). Otherwise the takom is more user friendly and I'm not sure you will see the difference once completed.

So this is my dilemma: I would like to make a cut-in-half JgdPanther... So which one would be the best to use?

(Presently the Takom kit is on hold because I'm trying to decide how to do the cutaway, the RFM is on hold because I'm trying to figure out how to use the transparent parts best. I think I'll mask out huge areas to make it a "semi-cutaway'.)
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hello Andras,
Having faced the same dilemma years ago when I built my first King Tiger cut-away based on the Tamiya kit I can say that something as slab-sided as a Jagdpanther should prove easy to cut open. Use a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and take your time and in no time at all its open and on display. I'd put it in a display case of its own, if I were you, as dusting an interior is really awkward. As to RFM's transparent hull, I have to get to my Panther G from them some time soon but I'm guessing masking the areas to be left transparent with either Fiskars paper or liquid masking fluid should work well, and then dip the hull in Future acrylic floor finishing to enhance the transparency.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 07:50 PM UTC
Thank you for the response. I've been building cutaways since around 2007 (started with a Sturmtiger), so it's not the actual technique that is an issue... I am thinking about how to best display it. Cut it in half completely, show it in an "exploded" view, cut the side out as in the Imperial War museum. (And the same with the Takom Panther, which is on hold until I decide.)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So this is my dilemma: I would like to make a cut-in-half JgdPanther... So which one would be the best to use? )

Why not do one side of each? Left Takom, right RFM or vice versa.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So this is my dilemma: I would like to make a cut-in-half JgdPanther... So which one would be the best to use? )

What would be the point of that?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It would juxtapose the two kits and provide an interesting display. I believe that is what we usually hope to display (a visually appealing representation of history).
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It would juxtapose the two kits and provide an interesting display. I believe that is what we usually hope to display (a visually appealing representation of history).

That would be an expensive undertaking -both in time and in money... For a hobby-ist, I think I'll keep my sanity (Unless someone is willing to pay me full time to do it.)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That would be an expensive undertaking -both in time and in money... For a hobby-ist, I think I'll keep my sanity (Unless someone is willing to pay me full time to do it.)

I thought that you already had bot kits?
StarForce
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 - 10:18 PM UTC
Well, I'm also trying to decide if I want RFM or Takom's Jagdpanther G2 as each of these has it's own advantages. So far, I cam sum them up as follows:

RFM:
- has workable tracks (as opposed to Takom's link and length)
- has clear parts for hull roof and engine deck (if someone wants to better display the interior)
- a resin figure (only if you get the initial limited edition)

Takom:
- has the optional air defense screens for the engine deck which I guess makes it more accurate for a very late war Jagdpanther (these are missing on RFM); you can also find them in one of Takom's kits of Panther G (kit number 2121)
- schurtzen (missing completely in RFM kit)
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I thought that you already had bot kits?

Sorry for not being clear: I have the Panthers.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I'm also trying to decide if I want RFM or Takom's Jagdpanther G2 as each of these has it's own advantages. So far, I cam sum them up as follows:

RFM:
- has workable tracks (as opposed to Takom's link and length)
- has clear parts for hull roof and engine deck (if someone wants to better display the interior)
- a resin figure (only if you get the initial limited edition)

Takom:
- has the optional air defense screens for the engine deck which I guess makes it more accurate for a very late war Jagdpanther (these are missing on RFM); you can also find them in one of Takom's kits of Panther G (kit number 2121)
- schurtzen (missing completely in RFM kit)

Takom: simpler assembly based on the Panther (which does share a lot of components with this kit.)
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks Dan for the quick listing on both AFVs pros and cons. The rest of the discussion went sort of sideways there as they're obviously both based on their respective company's Panther kits. I'd still urge everyone to put their built cut-aways in a sealed case for display as dusting them otherwise is nearly impossible.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 09:06 AM UTC
Based on our discussion I've ordered the RFM model for while the Takom is a great kit I got a sweetheart deal for the RFM which normally costs 25 or so percent more. Looking forward to it getting here. Maybe I'll build the Takom Panther 'A" in the mean time...
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 08:59 PM UTC
I just purchased the RFM kit and already have the Takom. I hope to see the strengths and weaknesses of each kit as I build them.

I will take my time and do it right.

Chris
 _GOTOTOP