_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sd.Ah.115
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2019 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hello there.
In preparation of a future build of the Faun L900 and the Sd.Ah.115, maybe it's good thing to share some thought about the information we can get from books, the internet and building experience.
To kick off this blog, please join if you feel the need to contribute, I was watching this photo today:

First I looked at the photo considering that it looked like it was taken somewhere in Holland. The big colonial style building, trees, it might as well be in Arnhem or Utrecht. These are the looks of Lanes with trees and beautiful houses. But it's somewhere in Poland.
Then I looked at the scene itself. Panzer mounting the loading bed, officer near the winch, people watching the action, etc.
It obvious the Panzer cannot mount the loading bed by itself. Winch cable comes from the left, goes underneath the platform where the winch on the Sd.Ah.is mounted to. Sd.Ah.115 is not connected to compressed air or a battery from a towing truck.
A nice photo with excellent detail for the front part of this subject.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Removed by original poster on 04/02/19 - 12:54:19 (GMT).
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

I've seen DasWerk's Sd.Ah.115 built and I find it very basic.It is lacking lot of(I would even say- any) detail.

Unfortunately I was also not able to find any additional info for this trailer till now.

Anyway- what's in the box is a good starting platform for a gifted scratch builder and super-detailer like you, so I'll watch your coming build with interest.

If I come across any valuable information, I'll post it here immediately ,

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 06:01 PM UTC
Some interesting pictures to look at:
Back of the first picture

Very interesting load, which I'm preparing

Panzer II Ausführung D Brückenleger, on the Truck also a Panzer II. My Panzer II Ausführung D Brückenleger is in the painting stage now. The other one will come later.
These are also interesting:
Another shot from the front

Right side of the trailer

Left side with an interesting load

Also interesting

All pictures come from: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=161260&start=1230

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 08:40 PM UTC
Nice finds, Robert!

There is a Sd.Ah.115 for sale in England(28,2 K USD) with some pictures:
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=575135
Yet my doubts are how many of the details there are original.

Then there is the WH Dienstvorschriften site, that offers the Dienstvorschrift 617/2 "Tiefladeanhänger für Panzerkampfwagen(10 t)/Sd. Ah. 115-Ersatzteilliste" for 17.5 EUR+Postage:
http://wh-versand.de/Artikel_Dv/2006172.html
In the sample pictures there is one of the brakes assemly, that shows a single airbrake tank.

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thanks Angel.
I doubt if all the 115 should called the same seen in the Axis forum. The earlier types had a load of 8 tons, later ones a 10 tons capacity. Think it is in the details, which I'm eager to find.
Interesting links, have to check those out tonight.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 02:44 AM UTC
Dienstvorschrift! Hide your Credit Card!
OMG....

Thanks Angel, this is what I was looking for.

ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dienstvorschrift! Hide your Credit Card!OMG....

Robert,

We have an idiom in Bulgarian, that perfectly suits your "revelation":
"Now it's your turn to burn(some money)"

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 05:47 PM UTC
LOL
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 06:03 PM UTC
Think I found an example of the 8tons Sd.Ah.115.
Compare this to the other pictures.

It has no ramping (moveable) like the 10tons. Bogie looks the same, also the wheels. Sides differ however.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
The one that is for sale I already saw. When build the resin kit from Custom Scale, this was one of my guides. However, I totally missed the Air tank. Will need to do some surgery, as I already planned to correct the backside of the resin one. To me this one is pretty close to original.
Ordered 3 books today, did not get any reaction yet. Will see. Time for a cold Beer, was about 40 degrees Celsius today, so I guess that will evaporate from the bottles if we're not buying them very quick

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC
Interesting how in Robert's first two photos the crew has decided to save themselves the trouble of lowering and then having to jack back up the rear end of the trailer bed. Instead they have blocked the trailer bed at travel height, removed the rear wheel set and are using a couple of Pioneer Sturmbrucke as inclined ramps to load the tank onto the trailer.

The crew certainly has a lot of faith in those chock blocks holding the trailer from moving while the load is being winched aboard. Especially given the trailer is not hitched to the towing vehicle.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC
I doubt I have any reference you guys have not already seen but I will share what I have.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Instead they have blocked the trailer bed at travel height, removed the rear wheel set and are using a couple of Pioneer Sturmbrucke as inclined ramps to load the tank onto the trailer.

To me they're rather using the trailer ramps (in travel position, these ramps are stored above the front wheels on each side).

The Sturmbrucke would be much bigger...

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 04:29 AM UTC
So Frenchy what you are saying is that these forward fender structures were removable to be used as ramps elsewhere when needed?

I always thought they were a structural part of the trailer especially since they are very necessary for loading the smaller tanks into the back of the Faun.

However I now see in Robert's first picture that they have been removed from the front of the trailer.

Live and Learn!

p.s. I now also see in the photos of the trailer for sale in the UK, the fellow shows the trailer both with those ramps installed and with them removed.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
Best photo I could find of the air tank.
Appears to hang below and not behind the dolly rear crossmember. Also not as wide (long) as the one shown on the UK trailer which is probably a later replacement.

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hey!
Last two weeks must have been the most painful in my life.
I forgot about 1 or 2 steps descending from the first floor. My left side started with a shock that lasted for two weeks. Last week, my holiday I was no longer able to walk. That however returned after some days and could go out again, getting some hot air(no fun). As from Monday I was able to sit behind my bench without pain. To get something finished I picked up a long lasting build, that will be a good sit on a Sd.Ah.115.
First you see the underside. With resin pigment seal from MIG I created some texture.

Same story. The slimy fluid is just perfect to get some dirt. I mix it with al kinds of pigment, color is not so important, just make a mix.

Some older work and ready to get fixed. All done with pigments in fresh paint.

It's a Dragon kit. Nice to build. Not decided yet to leave the AA or not. Should be real retreat, bring back to workshop, AA to be left, etc.

Getting to sleep nowadays, yeah! forget about that. We suffer some heat over here. For almost 2 weeks in a row its about 40 degrees Celsius with a prospect for at least one week ahead. Feels like heat index today 49 degrees Celsius.

Cheers,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 04:15 AM UTC
So before anyone says HUH, this supposed to be the Sd.Ah.115 research and future build thread! Here is my first one from Custom Scale. A lot of work has been done to get this to a reasonable state. Still have to correct the backside, front air and electric connections also.
For the time being.

I think the owner, and at that time designer did a good job. He's a real modeler, producer with dreams and where the resin material did set the limits (I had to rebuild a lot).
See how this one compares with the Kits from Das Werk. His site is a real journey for modelers, inspirational with lots of the unexpected.
Super Geil! wie man das auf Deutsch sagt.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Cam
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 03:55 PM UTC
Try Repairing the Panzers Vol 1. There are about a dozen pictures of SdAh 115's including one with a Pz III on it
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 06:55 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your accident,Robert...hope you are OK now!

Nicely weathered halftrack-a vehicle, that cries for care and repair!

And nice Customscale's Sd.Anh 115- I'm a frequent lurker on their website too!

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in.
Its getting worse speaking of temperature, it only goes up. Makes life a bit slow.
But hey, its weekend!
Enjoy!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 02:54 AM UTC
Waiting for some books on the Sd.Ah.115 (2) and a useful book on the 5 ton Anhänger, first load is almost finished. As from one of the pictures I posted earlier, the Panzerkampfwagen II Ausführung D Brückenleger looks like this now.
Except for the Friul tracks, all is pretty completed. Pioneer tools and head lights come when weathering is done.
For the May 10 Campaign, Fall Gelb I enlisted to build the Panzerkampfwagen II D from Dragon, which has interior.
When completed it will be the full load for my first Faun L900 set from Das Werk.
Work so far on the load for the Sd.Ah.115

Kit comes from Bronco. Had some minor problems with it, but as my first kit from this brand, most of it is my fault. Fit in general is ok. Went for Friulmodel tracks, because they have a nice sag and the kit needs that.
Idler wheels and some small parts are still missing, but painted and ready to complete the kit. Hope to finish the kit this weekend.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2020 - 05:52 AM UTC
Link to Das Werk web page offering replacement resin weighted tire (both civilian and military pattern) for both the Faun and the Sd.Ah. 115 trailer.

Also various resin loads for same.

https://www.das-werk-models.com/products/faun-l900-incl-sd-ah-115/faun-and-sd-ah-115-accessories/
 _GOTOTOP