_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
News
Hobbyworld: Weathering Pencils
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 07:17 PM UTC

Hobbyworld presents two sets of Weathering Pencils

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi

Thanks for the info but is it just me that these just look and sound like from the description artists water colour pencils and metallic effect pencils which are already readily available in art stores etc?

Alan
19sam68
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Thanks for the info but is it just me that these just look and sound like from the description artists water colour pencils and metallic effect pencils which are already readily available in art stores etc?

Alan

*cough* date *cough*
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Alan

Hi, Alan!

I'll agree with you in about 95% of what you've posted. The only difference I can see in these "new" artist's pencils are the "triangular ergonomic shape" of the pencils themselves. That and the "water-soluble" gambit.

I've been using "artists pencils" since the 1980s, and I find them very useful in highlighting metal features which show "shiny" wear points- You can probably picture them in your mind; certain "high points of parts on rifles' Breech Mechanisms, and other weapons' "high points" as seen on weapons such as on your BESA and our .30 and .50 caliber Machine Guns, Bolt Heads, Engine parts, etc. I'm primarily an aircraft modeler, and the Silver, Gun Metal and Aluminum, (your Aluminium), pencils come in very handy for showing wear where the paint has been worn off on the edges of Engine and Gun Bay Panels, around the Cockpit areas, you get the idea, I'm sure...
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 11:05 AM UTC
Excellent! Now just add a well known brand name to the product and you get a 100% profit off simple colored pencils!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent! Now just add a well known brand name to the product and you get a 100% profit off simple colored pencils!

Hi, !

One doesn't have to buy THESE particular pencils. Arts and Crafts stores, as Alan mentioned, have carried similar types made by other manufacturers, for less money...
 _GOTOTOP