_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
US Woman motorcycle riders WW2
Simple64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 07:55 PM UTC
I have just received the 2 LZ Models 1/35 US Women motorcycle rider figures but there is no painting guide for them.
I have googled for pictures or info on their uniforms but can't find anything useful.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction for uniform colours/pictures please.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2019 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hi, Chris!

US Army WAC Motorcycle riders generally wore their Olive Drab, (OD) Drab or Khaki Cotton Twill Service Uniforms. When riding their motorcycles, they necessarily substituted their Service Skirts with Cavalry-style Riding Breeches, ("Jodhpurs"), worn with either the M1938 Canvas Leggings or the various styles of US Army Elk Hide "lace-up" Riding Boots. Elk Hide Riding Leggings were also worn, which were worn over the Service Shoes and fastened by means of buckled straps. These were laced at the tops, only. The leather Riding Boots and/or Leggings were generally manufactured in Russet Brown or in Oxblood colors. Russet Brown or White leather "Sam Browne" Belts were also worn on occasion, or for special duties, such as Military Police, Parade or Special Dispatch. In SOME of these capacities, White M1938 Leggings were also required to be worn...

The Breeches, or "Jodhpurs" were manufactured in all of the various US Army Olive Drab, (OD), Drab, (ofttimes referred to as "pink"), and Summer-Weight Khaki Cotton Twill shades. The Riding Breeches were also manufactured in the Officers' Dark OD Shade 51 "Elastique" Gabardine, but these were only worn on rare occasions by high-ranking Officers. There WERE exceptions to this "rule", General George S. Patton wore his Riding Breeches and Riding Boots as an almost every day thing.

The canvas or leather Leggings were worn over their standard lace-up ankle-high Service Shoes. Of course, in regular everyday service, US Army WACs along with the US Navy's WAVES and US Marine Corps Womens' Reserve, (Women Marines), wore their more stylish leather Womens' Service Shoes, which were Russet Brown for the US Army, and Black for the US Navy and US Women Marines...

When in Combat Zones, i.e Great Britain for example, but not IN actual combat, (US Servicewomen were barred from combat), these dispatch riders generally wore the same "combat clothing" as their Infantry and Cavalry "Brothers-in-Arms" but once again, utilizing their Riding Breeches and Riding Boots, for a more stylish and rakish appearance. "Style" counted back then...

In inclement weather, HBT, (Herringbone Twill), Coveralls were also worn over their Service Uniforms, along with Womens' lace-up, ankle-high Service Shoes, (which were basically scaled-down Mens' Service Shoes, manufactured in Russet Brown Leather), along with the ubiquitous M1938 Canvas Leggings, or the Cavalry Riding Boots...

While riding, these intrepid women also many times wore leather or cloth leather Aircrew Flight Helmets, which were made in various shades of khaki, Light Mustard or Olive Drab cloth, or in a Dark Brown leather, similar in color to US or RAF leather Flight Helmets, sans earphones. Goggles of course, were manufactured in a wide array of styles by different manufacturers, so nearly anything goes...

Note: Like their male brethren, the WACs also wore woolen Service Shirts or Blouses in the Light Mustard shade of Olive Drab. This "light" shade of olive drab was intended for woolen Service Shirts/Blouses and Breeches only... EMs' (Enlisted Mens', or Other Ranks in the British Army). Jackets, or Service Coats and matching Service Trousers and Skirts were manufactured in darker shades of Olive Drab, these being M1937 Light Shade OD Trousers/Skirts, and M1939 OD for the Service Coats. Officers clothing was of finer quality, of course, but Motorcycle Dispatch was relegated to Enlisted ranks, so that's why I didn't go into much detail regarding Officers' clothing...

If you work in acrylics, may I suggest:

LIFECOLOR's

WWII US ARMY UNIFORMS, Set 1, Combat and Fatigue Clothing Class A Uniforms, CS 17, AND,

WWII US ARMY UNIFORMS, Set 2, Combat Gear, CS 18.

I can also highly recommend LIFECOLOR's FLESH Paint Set, CS 13...

These two paint sets will set you up in the complete array of uniform and equipment colors used by the US Army during WWII. As a dedicated figure-painter and WWII uniform collector, I can attest to these colors' accuracy...

I hope this bit of information helps you! Have fun!!!

PS- If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me via ARMORAMA, and I will be happy to answer any more questions that you may have...
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2019 - 02:58 PM UTC
G'day Dennis,
Mate thank you very much for the wealth of information.

Closer inspection of the 2 figures shows that one is wearing the leggings & the other the full riding boots. I also noticed slight differences in the caps worn & one of the coats has side pockets while the other doesn't. this could be because the actual riding figure has 2 satchels slung over each shoulder & covering the lower pockets.

I purchased a Vallejo Model Colour allied uniform paint set ages ago really cheap from a shop that was closing down & have only used it to paint a British tank crew but it contains US & Soviet colours as well but I will certainly look into the Lifecolour sets suggested.

Sorry not the best photos but gives an idea.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2019 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi, Chris!

"Mates" WE ARE, henceforth...

Thanks for posting these photos of your work!

Your inclusion of photos in your latest post of the actual figurines have made it much easier for me to characterize and identify their respective clothing...

These little Ladies appear to be wearing their US Army Service Coats and Caps, which should be painted in the M1939 color OD, Shade 3. Even though their Service Caps are of different styles, they should still conform to the M1939 OD color, EXCEPT for the Webbed Hat Band. This Hat Band should be a lighter shade of OD, which comes close to the lighter OD yellow-to-green tones of the VARIOUS "Web Equipment" colors.

And yes, the one figurines' Satchels ARE covering up the bottom two pockets of her Service Coat. The WWII US Army Service and "Dress" Coats, for both men and women, were "Four-Pocket designs". ALL Pockets are closed with a Flap, and with a centered brass Button. These features of US Army Service and "Dress" Coats persist in this tradition, even today... The Satchels and their Straps were manufactured in either Russet Brown leather, or in canvas, so you can paint the Satchels and their Straps in virtually any of the "Web Equipment" colors... For variety, you can even paint the two Satchels in different shades, with their Straps in other shades, as well!!!

The Riding Breeches, as I described in my previous post can be painted in any one of the OD, DRAB (ofttimes called "Pink", but his color is actually a kind of Tan-ish Mauve) or Khaki colors, which I also described previously, and more likely EXCEPTING the OFFICERS' Dark OD Shade 51 "Elastique" Gabardine, otherwise known as "Chocolate"... But, even THIS is possible! Many times, even old WWI-pattern Wool Riding Breeches were worn, which were actually close to a "Medium" Mustard OD color...

ALL Uniform Buttons and "metal" Insignia should be painted in a "Golden-Yellow" BRASS color. This includes their Headgear National Insignia Devices and Buttons. The Straps and "Peaks" can be painted in either Russet Brown or Oxblood...

Their Shirts/Blouses can be painted in either the "Light Mustard" Shade or in OD Wool. Their Neckties can be painted in either Black, or in Drab, or Light Khaki Mohair. The Riding Boots/Leggings were Russet Brown, or in some cases, Oxblood. Neither of your figurines appear to be wearing the canvas M1938 Leggings, so we don't need to be concerned with any of the varying colors of the Leggings...

BTW, I'm surprised that LZ didn't include "alternate Heads", wearing the leather or canvas "Flight Helmets and Goggles", sans Headphones, of course... ???

I'm not familiar with the VALLEJO range of WWII US Army Uniform Colors- Would you be so kind as to post photos of VALLEJO's WWII US Army color samples, in order for me to better aid you in your figure-painting..?

Generally, WWII "Allied" Uniform paint sets seem to be too "generic" in their ranges of color. This is why I recommended the two LIFECOLOR WWII US ARMY Uniforms, (CS 17), and "Combat Gear", (CS 18), sets. The "Combat Gear" set also includes several shades of OD and Khaki, plus the Russet Brown "leather" color, in order for you to properly complete your figures. I'm sure that this is a "marketing-ploy" by LIFECOLOR in order to get modelers to buy both sets, but if one is going to paint WWII US Army figurines, BOTH sets are really needed in order to do so...

Caution: The WWII "British" and Soviet" Uniforms and equipment colors DO NOT match the colors of WWII US Uniforms and/or equipment. The LIFECOLOR "Combat Gear" set will also aid you in painting the Dispatch Satchels in the proper shades of "Web" equipment, or the "leather"-styles of Satchels and their respective Straps...

IF you should happen to use any model companies' painting instructions for WWII US Army figurines, BEWARE of their instructions pointing out certain US canvas or web equipment items being painted in a "BUFF" color. The US Army gave up on "Buff"-colored items in the late 1700s-early 1800s.

I've also seen certain model manufacturers' painting instructions' "call-outs" directing modelers to paint the WWII US Army's OD Wool Trousers "BROWN"- The fella that came up with the idea that US Olive Drab is "BROWN" was either on dope, drunk or color-blind!!! WWII US Army Wool Trousers were NOTHING OF THE KIND. They were OD, PERIOD!!! "BROWN", INDEED!!! THE IDEA!!!

ONE thing that surprises me about the LIFECOLOR US Army Uniforms and "Combat Gear" sets is that they DID NOT include Olive Drab colors for the US Army's "pre-war" steel Kelly Helmets OR the WWII-style M1 Steel Helmets, ofttimes called "Steel Pots". On the other hand, these Helmets were painted in the various shades of Olive Drab that US Tanks, AFVs and Soft-skins were found in. My recommendation would be to refer to a WWII US Army Vehicles paint set. Not that it matters in your particular applications of these figures. Just saying, in case you were to ever acquire and paint regular WWII US Army, or US Marine Corps figures...

PS- No, I DO NOT work for LIFECOLOR...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2019 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hopefully someone can finish something by 4 May. It's IFRD.
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 11:23 AM UTC
Dennis once again thank you for the info provided.
This site & Aeroscale are my number 1 go to sites. The knowledge & helpfulness of members is second to none not to mention the awesome models posted.
You have made a serious commitment as once a mate it's for life.
I will try & post photos of the Vallejo colours as soon as I get a chance but I think as you said they are pretty generic but it is very good paint none the less.

I buy most of my paint from BNA Model World here in Oz as the prices are pretty good. They have the Lifecolour Set 1 in stock but not No.2 at the moment.
I have the Mirror Models Indian motorcycles in my stash but have a couple of kits in progress so once I clear the bench these ladies & the bikes are next.
Simple64
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Robert I doubt I can make the May 4 deadline as I have a couple of work trips coming up.

Can you explain IFRD as I am not familiar with that.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 02:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Robert I doubt I can make the May 4 deadline as I have a couple of work trips coming up.

Can you explain IFRD as I am not familiar with that.

https://motoress.com/international-female-ride-day/
 _GOTOTOP