_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
British Tank Crew
Simple64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 01:47 PM UTC
Here is my British tank crew.
This is a very old Verlinden set but I replaced the heads with ones from Hornet which are really superb. The middle figure even has the smile wrinkles around his eyes.
I added wire for the headphones & used Archer transfers for the commanders shoulder patches. (Grenadier Guards).
Vallejo paints used.
These were going to crew my Tasca M4A4 Sherman but I had a disaster with the final flat coat & stripped it back to the undercoat & it is currently sitting on the shelf of doom.

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2019 - 10:23 PM UTC
G’day Chris, this is excellent painting – how you get faces looking that good remains a mystery within a riddle surrounded by an enigma to me. Suggest you reconsider the finish on the uniforms though, it’s satiny bordering on glossy. Some would argue just a matt varnish would kill it, but if you’re using acrylics try a blob of Tamiya X21 mixed in with the pigment. I use the latter because in the right balance (experiment) it not only matts it but gives a slightly rough texture.

Now then, where’s their ride dude?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 12:29 AM UTC
I agree with the faces,so life like,excellent work
Simple64
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2019 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Tim believe it or not these are the first figures I have done for a long time. I take your point about the glossy finish on the uniform. I did use AK matte coat first but it came out a satin finish so I used AK ultra matte over the top again & for some reason it didn't really make a difference. Probably because I brushed it on too thick & straight from the bottle. If you look closely there are some frosty bits on the commanders left shoulder that need to be dealt with.
For the faces I bought the Vallejo face painting set 70.119 which has a pretty good guide included in the box.
Good tip with the Tamiya flat base although I am not sure how it will go with the Vallejo acrylic paint as it is really a lacquer based paint. As you said "experiment".

I am far from the best modeller or painter in the world but if I could offer any advice on painting faces in acrylics is to use a "wet palette" good lighting & magnifier. For shadows & highlights super thin colour coats & build it up slowly. The hard part is knowing when to stop.
I don't do eyes as they are virtually impossible for me to get right in 1/35 scale & not really necessary in my opinion although I have seen some awesome figures done on here that just blow me away.
I fully recommend a Letterman Publications book I bought many years ago if you can find a copy which is "GETTING STARTED PAINTING DIORAMA FIGURES IN ACRYLICS" by Brett Avants. I also have a Citadel Miniatures painting guide that is very helpful as well.
 _GOTOTOP