_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The knives are out
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 03:58 PM UTC
Does anyone use ceramic blades? I was reading an ad with the claim “lasts 10x longer than steel blades” and (I’m not sure this is relevant to plastic/resin modelling) are “non-sparking & non-conductive”. I ask because I go through metal blades at a high rate, typically because the point on (I think it’s Xcto # 5) blades snaps off after 15 minutes or so of continuous use, long before the edge has dulled. (Yeah I know don’t press so hard) - I’m curious if ceramic points & edges cut as well without snapping and/or dulling?

The ad also offers three rotary (steel) blades, “standard, skip (perforation), and wavy”. Does anyone use “standard” rotary, and in what way might they give a superior cut to an ordinary blade?

The same ad even offers a swivel-head (steel) blade – presumably like the gun that shoots round corners, it cuts like that (?)
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 04:40 PM UTC
Where I work, a lot of ppl use ceramic bladed box knives instead of the old metal blades. For some reason they are less likely to slice human skin.

If they get dropped, they're ruined.

Gaz
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 05:34 PM UTC
I would reconsider what I use the knives/blades for.

Not for cutting parts off sprues -> side cutters

Not for scraping seams or removing flash -> needle files, "sand"-paper or the reverse edge of the blade which has a 90-degree angle

Removing unwanted surface details -> miniature chisels, riffler files or "sand"-paper glued to chisel pointed ends of sprues or wooden sticks

Larger cutting or material removals -> fret-saw or other types of saws, drills, routers, cutters. Basically anything other than a knife blade

Cutting narrow strips of styrene or paper -> knife blade with LIGHT pressure since I have found that I get cleaner and better cuts that way.

Slicing off details that are needed somewhere else like rivets and bolt heads -> knife blade but this rarely works so I usually end up making new details ...

This change in working methods has reduced the frequency of cut fingers et.c.

/ Robin
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

/ Robin

..because you spend more time looking for these other tools than you do removing anything Robin.

Ceramic scalpel blades are the same as ceramic kitchen knives - for cutting soft material like flesh, fruit, etc. They are not designed to cut hard objects or anything requiring a little more pressure. The edge is more brittle and likely to chip on styrene.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 12:59 AM UTC
ceramic is brittle so I would expect more breakage/ chipping. It might stay sharp longer, however.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

..because you spend more time looking for these other tools than you do removing anything Robin.

Ceramic scalpel blades are the same as ceramic kitchen knives - for cutting soft material like flesh, fruit, etc. They are not designed to cut hard objects or anything requiring a little more pressure. The edge is more brittle and likely to chip on styrene.

Backstabber ...
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 02:10 AM UTC
I stopped using XActo blades long ago due to their poor quality.
Dan
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC
[quote

/ Robin[/quote]

Sadly this is not true for me. I just have to look at anything sharp and I've got a new cut. With ceramic I might nick a thumb and sever my leg mid thigh at the same time.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 - 01:26 AM UTC
OK thanks for the cutting remarks guys, no takers about the rotary blade but I suspect it’s probably in the same craft-work category.
 _GOTOTOP