_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Zvezda Russian Tank Crew (#3615) too big?
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi guys,

has anyone had any issues using Zvezda's Russian Tank Crew #3615 in 1/35th scale?

I'm trying to fit one figure on Meng's T-72B1 hatch and it won't fit very well. Maybe the guy needs to start a diet. Also, comparing with other 1/35th figures, this one seems to be a bit bigger, like The Mountain on Game of Thrones.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

has anyone had any issues using Zvezda's Russian Tank Crew #3615 in 1/35th scale?

I'm trying to fit one figure on Meng's T-72B1 hatch and it won't fit very well. Maybe the guy needs to start a diet. Also, comparing with other 1/35th figures, this one seems to be a bit bigger, like The Mountain on Game of Thrones.

In 1/35th scale, a 5'10" man stands exactly two inches high (50.8 mm). Just check the figure against a ruler, if you suspect it is overscale. Many older Tamiya figures are tiny, about 5'5" high. Not that unsusual as individuals, but strange if depicting an entire tank or gun crew.
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 10:57 AM UTC
Probably average for a soviet tank crew.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

In 1/35th scale, a 5'10" man stands exactly two inches high (50.8 mm). Just check the figure against a ruler, if you suspect it is overscale. Many older Tamiya figures are tiny, about 5'5" high. Not that unsusual as individuals, but strange if depicting an entire tank or gun crew.

Soviet tanks were designed around a crewman 5'6" tall and there were appropriate height limits. US tanks were designed around a crewman 6 feet until the M1 when they went to 5'10" and put in the appropriate height limits.

Someone who is 5'10" will barely fit into a Soviet tank and in the driver's hole will not be able to close the hatch.

And absolutely no beer bellies.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 11:07 PM UTC
I had the same problem with their Russian Parade Tank Crew (3685); I needed 2 x saluting figures for a Bundeswehr project but they are massive - probably 1:32 - and unusable for me.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

Soviet tanks were designed around a crewman 5'6" tall and there were appropriate height limits. US tanks were designed around a crewman 6 feet until the M1 when they went to 5'10" and put in the appropriate height limits.

Someone who is 5'10" will barely fit into a Soviet tank and in the driver's hole will not be able to close the hatch.

And absolutely no beer bellies.

Absolutely CORRECT! Russian Tankers have been HAND-PICKED for their compactness in both body-mass and height since just before WWII. Low-profile T-34s and all that...

My suggestion would be to get a different Tank Crew for your project, unless you are adept at paring-down and re-sculpting your figures... I know that this is not being helpful, but this may POSSIBLY be your least frustrating solution...
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 05:47 AM UTC
I think I'll just toss these into the spare parts box and see if I can get resin ones, then...

I also have the "Polite people" set from Zvezda and the figures are smaller than these.

_GOTOTOP