_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Question on my new ww2 dio
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
I just posted pics on my Nam dio this is what made push it aside. I wanted to use my tamiya 2.5 ton truck in an dio so I modified the hood in the open position and got some mechanic figures and photo etched tools but it still looked liked something was missing so I added the driver,infantry man, the tankers and the mail guy oh yow the dog. Do you think i have to much action in one place and does it make any sense could not find any reference pics to go by. What color do I need to paint the mechanics uniforms and tools. And how does my groundwork look there will be water in the stream.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:02 PM UTC
It looks just fine to me so far, keep it going!

and keep us updated

pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks Sensei, It want be long if I figure the color of the mechanic uniforms I looks to be od or maybe a liighter color in some pics not sure.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
ahh... one more thing that got to my mind... ur background looks a bit empty to me... maybe consider one or two larger trees ? just a thought...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:40 AM UTC
I don't think you have to much going on at all, three nicely separate stories, yet all pulled together very well with the 2.5.
Couple of things I'd like to add, the figures sitting down need some work. You need to relax them. Bend the ankles, knees a bit. For a driving pose, they work, for a hanging around pose they don't.
The road is very monotone, I would recommend a lot of variation in the gray and tan scale. Then blend that into the 2.5 with pastels. The star on the hood is very clean, don't forget to weather that too.
Be careful with the foliage and the dress, the mail call guy is in a long coat and the foliage is still bright green. You may want to add some parsley leaves and tone them down to more fall colors.
Don't forget 2.5 tacks in the road, maybe even just a bunch from a convoy. The way I do those is to take a toy wheel (about to scale, lego wheels work, some matchbox cars [the bigger ones]) and roll it up and down the road.

I think this will turn out very well Iook forward to more updates.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:41 AM UTC
pfc

Looks like you got a real good start going. As far as the mechanic's uniform I'm pretty sure they just wore standard GI issued uniforms. The same as everyone else. The tool colors would be the same as civilian tools. some metal some black maybe a touch of rust. It would all depend on what it was.
I agree with Sensei with the trees in the background. Right now its just a big open space. All and all its looking real good. I hope I was of some help

Wolfsix
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC
I like "busy" dioramas, and your's is just right. Lots of things going on is good.
Rob
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hey thanks guys you give me some real good pointers I will try to change what I can all of the ground is alredy glued but I will see if can gets some ruts in the road some way and try to add somthing to the background.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

tools. some metal some black maybe a touch of rust

I wouldnt use a whole buch of rust for the tools if any.. Any mechanic worth his salt wouldnt let his tools rust..
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
You can use drybrushing and pastels to simulate ruts in the road - you won't get the depressions but you can 'paint in' some dark ruts.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:08 AM UTC
Sergeant
Did you say that this for a Vietnam dio?
Rob
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
Sergeant
Sorry about that.....Are you going to be re-tooling the soldiers? I don't think that they ever wore leggings in Vietnam. Also, are the tanker helmets accurate for Vietnam? I am not sure, since I'm into WWII.
Rob
P.S. Hope that questions aren't too stupid....
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Sergeant
Sorry....I just realized that my questions really were stupid.....I just got off the night shift, and here I am doing this first thing in the morning. Maybe I might get some sleep.
Rob
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just posted pics on my Nam dio this is what made push it aside

Oh dont worry Husky1943 we all realize what lack of sleep can do Ive tried to ask questions on here before the next day when I checked my post they made know since at all but there are some members that can sipher out what you need to know and still ansewer preety well.WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE UUUUUP!!!!! #:-) :-) just kidding.
 _GOTOTOP