Hosted by Darren Baker
M113 progress pics
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
I posted some pics of my Nam dio and Major-Goose wanted to see some more pics of the M113 so I thought I would put them here for everyone to comment on I have not biult much armour and Just recently started to concintrate on weathering. There is a little weathering done with pastels I will probably remove that and do a wash and some dry brushing I just wanted to see the affects of pastels. Does my paint look right I tried to fade it a little I thought it looked fine. Just let me have it but dont be to harsh. #:-) Major-Goose also said my tracks may need more sag on against the road wheels.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey, you may want to put some weathering and dirt on the ramp. It was walked on and would get dirty and worn. Also, you may want to blend your decals in a bit. So you can't see the outline of the decal. I use micro-sol to place it and then spray with a matte finish. Then I will dry brush the decal to weather it. Good work, it looks great. Steve
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
Thanx steve203 will I be able to do that to the decals now that I have put them on or will I have to remove and start again.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi there pfc. At first as i see the M113 is not finished as guns are not attached on the vehicle.About weathering . The pastels you have applied have produced a nice effect of dustting but ....because you havent made any washes or drybrushing almost all details are hidden and thats something u could see from the pics. So i believe that is easy enough to remove the pastels (especially if you didnt put them wet with acohol or thinner) and start a bit of raw umber and ochre washes different earth colours mixes with lil progres ecery time to see the result of each one before the next . Be aware of black washes they produce hard effects. Keep em in very minor paint and use em carefully if u want so . On my Churchill i did about 12 different oil washes. Most of them dont show as a seperate layer but this blending i think produces a good result. Use some aluminium colour to dry brush on hard edges and show some bare metal and worn out pain.. Some more intense footmarks of reddish earth will be nice on places that crew walks and also much dusting and dirtying have to be on the rump and the inside of the vehicle as these are areas that are used every day and all the time /
Some black pastel have to be applied to the exhaust pipe to show its use (angled pipe on top right corner) and some scratched paint chipping and scratching has to be done on gun shields and turrets as theese ara parts that are handled all the time.
For completing ur vehivle , some stowage is a must as these carriers have to be ready to fulfill crews needs for sleep, eat and survive.

I hope i helped some and i ll be at your service any time you need more help.

Costas

Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:23 PM UTC
Just a little thing that makes your model look even better;
take it into daylight when you take the pics. It will look very different then, even with the pastels...
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:58 PM UTC
Nice going there.

A little more attention is required on the wheels, the inner wheels do not appear to have rubber wheels, also all inside the wheel wells looks too clean.
The tracks could do with a little sag in them, have you tried the cotton trick where you tie the bottom of the track to the upper tracks through the gear teeth holes?
Failing that try a little super glue (CA glue)

Keep up the good work.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
Good work on the outside.But all of the seats and seat backs should be a near flat black leather.I hope your top panel isn't glued on.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:08 AM UTC
As long as there is not a clear coat over the decals, you can just apply some micro-sol to the decals by lightly dabbing it on the decal. You have to be careful as the micro-sol makes then very soft. Let it dry then I usually apply it two or three times. Then hit it with a matte finish.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
As far as the comment on the sag in the tracks, they should barely touch the second road. If I recall correctly, there was enough space between the track and the first road wheel to lay a canteen cup on its sided on top of the road wheel and just touch the bottom of the track (about 4 inches).

As far as the interior colors, the interior is a pale green and the floor boards were flat aluminum. Seat cushions for the drivers and TCs seats had black leather seat cushions, while the troops seats had green seat cushions (not provided in the kit). They also had seat bealts that we always folded up and secured with duct tape (generally not being visible).

I would recommend that you paint your antennaes green (dark green or OD).

It appears you have achieved a good smooth exterior paint job and the decals are well applied - no silvering - excellent job on their application!

Jeff
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:24 PM UTC
Pfc,
I think it's looking really good. I hope my first 113 (or variation of) looks that good...keep it up! :-)
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:43 PM UTC
looks good PFC!
 _GOTOTOP