Hosted by Darren Baker
What would be in these walls?
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Does anyone know what would be in the interior of these walls? I would assume that they are not solid brick throughout. As you can see, I have placed large support beams in the columns, but the walls - Would they be cinderblock or something like that? or would it have a wooden framework inside? In scale, the broken end that you see is approximatly 18-20" thick (45cm)I figure that the bricks would be around 3 inches thick, and with morter that wouild increase to maybe 4 inches, if there was a double row of bricks..that would be pushed to 7-8" of brick casing. That unfortunately leaves me with at least 11" of unknown interior structure. Can anyone help? Thx
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:25 PM UTC
Most walls have an air gap between the inner & outer brick faces, although I'm not sure what era this became common practice, otherwise it would be brick outer, then fill ( rubble etc) and the inner face would be some form of render, cement plaster etc.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC
The double brick layered wall with gap or some insulating inside began to be used in Greece at mid 50 s. Before there were solid builds with some kind of mud and small stone rumble inside . Thats whi the ruins had many many dust .
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
Thanks, More questions though. 1 so, are you saying that the wall would be (from the outside going in) brick>brick>crushed rubble>brick>wall covering? or it could be brick>brick>cinderblock>wall covering? ie. lathe/plaster wall or it would be brick>air gap/crushed rock>brick>cinder block>brick.... I just want to render this pretty well. Thanks
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
For a WWII I'd lean toward the brick |brick |rubble/rock |brick |plaster type. I'm not sure of the use of cinder blocks during that time period and a gap would be hard to duplicate.

Look at the Gallery and get an idea for what others have done.
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:35 PM UTC
I think i will be doing the brick>brick>rubble>brick>plaster setup, but i was wondering, is the rubble just loosly laid in, or is it compacted or even cemented in?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:03 PM UTC
That's a hard question. I'm a fan of archaeology programmes and have seen plenty of building ruins dug up on the TV. It could be mortared in place or compacted, either intentionally or by it's own weight.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
yeah, walls wouldnt be that thick, i say, hollow it out put some studs in there, and know what else would be cool, if you coul make some plumbing pipes in there!! i'm doing that w/ my first dio. but yeah, if you do anything, make the walls thinner
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:39 PM UTC
You will often find that commercial buildings in Europe built between 1890 and 1940 frequently had rock rubble (chunks of rock, broken brick, sand, and mortar mixed together in a thick slurry) which was poured between cinderblock inner walls, and then faced out with two to four layers of brick veneer.

Taller building (4 stories and higher) in he 1920's onward would also often be reinfornced with metal bar and beam, sandwiched inside the concrete inner walls.
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
I am an architect specialized in restoration and I assure you that there are walls with rubble and mortar infill in earlier times. The construction technique is to lay the outer line of bricks, and the inner line of bricks, let the mortar set. Then place the rubble in the air gap, fill the void with mortar. This is dome layer by layer (say from the ground to a height of 50 cm. then 50 cm to 1 m and so on) until the mason comes to the top of the wall.

BUT... I have no idea if this kind of a wall has ever been used in that territory at that specific time.

Good luck.

Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Mice... maybe?
 _GOTOTOP