_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian colors (generally speaking)
RicardoH
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi guys,

following my post about the T-72B1 colours, I checked my stash and realised that "Russian" greens and grey-greens compose about 20% of my paint stash.

10 to 15 years ago, most of us had to rely on Tamiya, Gunze and Vallejo paints (just to mention acrylics). Nowadays, everyone seems to have its own paint brand and, of course, selling "WWII Russian" and "Modern Russian" paints.

Comparing some of these paints, I noticed that the "same colour" is portrayed differently from one brand to another, which led me to believe that at least some are not properly researched or that the same original Russian paint changes from time to time.

The question is: which brands do you think make the most accurate Russian/Soviet armor paints, ranging from the WWII times to a tank that was painted this morning at Uralvagonzavod?

Just this morning I was trying to find the best "yellowish white" for my Meng Buk and ended up with different colour codes from several brands.

(Disclaimer: I realise that weathering, paint batches and surface where the paint is applied on affects the final color, not counting the lighting effects, paper where the photos are printed, etc.)
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 12:04 AM UTC
Ricardo,

When trying to be as close as possible to 4BO, I use AKAN.

This is a Russian producer, who claims to have thoroughly researched and matched the paint recipes for various Russian Greens-WWII era till modern.

I use AKAN's acrylic paints, they spray just wonderfull-even when thinned with plain tap water only.

Sofar AKAN has never let me down.

HTH
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
Pick a green, any green.

Don’t get hung up on it...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/modern-russian-armor-green-t499502.html

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 06:00 AM UTC
Back in 1980 as a recently promoted Sergeant, I was sent to Berlin to receive a briefing, on what was then known as the Berlin Military Train. After the to-ing and fro-ing at the border at Helmstedt, the train continued its journey to Berlin via Magdeburg; wow. Sidings packed with T62s,2S1s, 2S3s, MTLBs, BMPs and so on and so on.

To my eyes, even though back then I'd put the hobby on hold, they were all in Humbrol Light Olive No 86.

We are talking 1:35 here - scale colour etc - I'm afraid I concur with Dave (griffontech) here(!)

I've used that ever since on my Soviet armour models - for some reason it seems to come out slightly brighter once airbrushed - and the results normally attract favourable comments.

Brian
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 05:45 PM UTC
Variation between paint manufacturers and batches, variation in application, aging, weathering, lighting, film, changes in issued color standards over time...

All green. Which specific green? I dare anyone to actually stand up and say out loud that they KNOW and / or HAVE the "REAL, CORRECT, GREEN".

Choose the one which looks best TO YOU, based on the pics and info you have seen.

PS: I do like the AKAN, but don't have ready access to it. I generally and most recently have gone with something such as Vallejo "Russian Green" 70.984".

Cheers! Bob

PS: Served in USAREUR in the FRG 1975-78, saw quite a few Sov vehicles... The greens I saw varied between units and seeming age-of-vehicles.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

following my post about the T-72B1 colours, I checked my stash and realised that "Russian" greens and grey-greens compose about 20% of my paint stash.

10 to 15 years ago, most of us had to rely on Tamiya, Gunze and Vallejo paints (just to mention acrylics). Nowadays, everyone seems to have its own paint brand and, of course, selling "WWII Russian" and "Modern Russian" paints.

Comparing some of these paints, I noticed that the "same colour" is portrayed differently from one brand to another, which led me to believe that at least some are not properly researched or that the same original Russian paint changes from time to time.

The question is: which brands do you think make the most accurate Russian/Soviet armor paints, ranging from the WWII times to a tank that was painted this morning at Uralvagonzavod?

Just this morning I was trying to find the best "yellowish white" for my Meng Buk and ended up with different colour codes from several brands.

(Disclaimer: I realise that weathering, paint batches and surface where the paint is applied on affects the final color, not counting the lighting effects, paper where the photos are printed, etc.)

I'm gonna open my "big mouth" again; ALL colors are perceived differently by different people, therefore, ones' perception of color is subjective. Ask ANY ophthalmologist...
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Back in 1980 as a recently promoted Sergeant, I was sent to Berlin to receive a briefing, on what was then known as the Berlin Military Train. After the to-ing and fro-ing at the border at Helmstedt, the train continued its journey to Berlin via Magdeburg; wow. Sidings packed with T62s,2S1s, 2S3s, MTLBs, BMPs and so on and so on.

To my eyes, even though back then I'd put the hobby on hold, they were all in Humbrol Light Olive No 86.

We are talking 1:35 here - scale colour etc - I'm afraid I concur with Dave (griffontech) here(!)

I've used that ever since on my Soviet armour models - for some reason it seems to come out slightly brighter once airbrushed - and the results normally attract favourable comments.

Brian

Interesting story! I just googled the Humbrol color you referenced and at a casual glance, it looks like a very grayed-out green.

Reminds of "Field gray" and "RLM Gray" from the Tamiya line, which are both more green than gray.

I can see a combo of khaki and almost an olive drab type color maybe coming close to that too.

You see a lot of Russian armor online that looks like it comes from this family of green.

Then again, there is all the "NATO Green" stuff which looks nothing like that at all! Those have a much brighter, yellow-based green without nearly as much gray going on.

_GOTOTOP