_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
White metal figures from verlinden
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 08:10 AM UTC
With the help of some friendly modelers here, I was able to locate a set of DAK figures I have been searching for. I ordered them, and they have arrived, however, they are unexpectedly made of metal. Ok, no big deal, but I have a couple questions, as I have never dealt with metal figures.
1) is CA glue strong enough to use for assembly, or should I go with something like 5 minute epoxy?
2) painting process is as usual? I have Mr. Surfacer 1000, and Tamiya, or Vallejo acrylics.
3) they are just busts of figures to protrude from open hatches of a Pz. IV, any ideas how they are to be fixed into position on the vehicle?
Thanks again for the help, it’s great to have a place to ask questions, as I am still learning a great deal.
Happy Modeling!
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 08:53 AM UTC
These are beautifull figures, just a little larger than 1/35 IIRC. When I used them (a long time ago) I used regular ca.
You can fe add an additional hole and rod, and/ or epoxy for added strenghth. You can add a stand to the figure, made from a piece of plastic plate and plastic rod (drill a hole in the bottom of the figure). Clean up with fine steel wool and prime with fe Tamiya grey metal primer.

Enjoy.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 08:57 AM UTC
Yes CA glue is strong enough
Yes Mr Surfacer Primer and Vallejo will work for you
They may be able to just sit in the hatches without falling,after all once your done the model will be sitting on your shelf.Or you may need a spot of carefully placed CA to secure them.
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC
Ok, thank you, I’m busy building the panzer now, but when I get it a little more put together, I’ll assemble the figures, and see how they fit. Thanks again!
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 11:15 AM UTC
For busts (resin or metal) I normally make a platform inside the hatch for them to sit on. Similar to what you see in some Tamiya kits. I paint the platform, inside Hull etc black. Where the bust is to glued I scrape off a bit of paint and out with the ca. Works for me. Sometimes I have spot glued shoulders etc to bhatch opening however one knock and the bust falls inside. Oh dear! As I said, my experience only
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With the help of some friendly modelers here, I was able to locate a set of DAK figures I have been searching for. I ordered them, and they have arrived, however, they are unexpectedly made of metal. Ok, no big deal, but I have a couple questions, as I have never dealt with metal figures.
1) is CA glue strong enough to use for assembly, or should I go with something like 5 minute epoxy?
2) painting process is as usual? I have Mr. Surfacer 1000, and Tamiya, or Vallejo acrylics.
3) they are just busts of figures to protrude from open hatches of a Pz. IV, any ideas how they are to be fixed into position on the vehicle?
Thanks again for the help, it’s great to have a place to ask questions, as I am still learning a great deal.
Happy Modeling!

Hi, Phillip! (Or can we call you Phil?)

TAMIYA also makes a Metal Primer for metal figures if you have no luck in finding the GUNZE Primers. I've used Gray Auto Primer in spray cans on metal figures with success- I use enamel paints, so there were no problems for me... CA glue is entirely adequate for putting VERLINDEN metal figures together with, but if you want added strength, a 2-part epoxy glue will also serve. GORILLA GLUE should work for you, too...
Phillipjl
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 01:29 AM UTC
Rod: I figured I would end up with something like that, part of the fun of this hobby is the problem solving! I want the finished product to be fairly sturdy to give it the best chance of surviving transport.

Dennis: you call me just about anything, I’ll even answer to hey you! Most of my friends call me PJ. Thanks for the input, I have lots of rattle can primer laying around, so that’s a possibility.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice, thank you everyone!
panzerstike
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hello Phillip,

Not much help on painting but the figure fit is easy Peasy. Drill a hole in the bottom of all the busts just the size of sprue from the kit. Cut however many you need long sections of sprue like 4 inches each. Glue the sprue into the bottom with good blob of CA . Then patiently keep fitting them in wear wanted and keep cutting the sprue till you get the length that’s right for you. Then there are little flat number plates on the sprue cut a few of them they are like 3/8 th inch square kinda and flat thin. File the end of the sprue rod flat and glue to one of the small plates. Always adjust cut your sprue lengths to fit your hatch. When you finally glue it in use a blob of good ole tube glue and fit to hatch glueing to the floor. By glueing the rod in the figs also gives you a handle for the fig for painting.

Brian J Tears
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rod: I figured I would end up with something like that, part of the fun of this hobby is the problem solving! I want the finished product to be fairly sturdy to give it the best chance of surviving transport.

Dennis: you call me just about anything, I’ll even answer to hey you! Most of my friends call me PJ. Thanks for the input, I have lots of rattle can primer laying around, so that’s a possibility.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice, thank you everyone!

Hi, Phil, PJ and Hey, YOU!!!

As far as the "name"-business goes, SAME, HERE!!!

Be a Pal, and keep us posted on your progress! I've always been a fan of "AFRIKA KORPS" subject-matter, despite many other modelers' claims to the contrary!!!
 _GOTOTOP