_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
AFV Club: Centurion MK.3
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:10 PM UTC

AFV Club announces a Centurion MK.3

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

AFV Club announces a Centurion MK.3

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Thank You, Carlos!

MORE welcome news!!! ESPECIALLY for British Armor fans!!!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
Those are not correct Mk.3 hull stowage boxes... It looks like someone added side panels from Mk.3 boxes to Mk.5 box tops.

Also I believe that Besa MG barrel tip / flash suppressor should stick out from the mantlet.

EDIT: I thought that those sponson boxes are the sample kit builder mistake, but they already had that error in the CAD drawing:

So they are probably not included in the kit...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those are not correct Mk.3 hull stowage boxes... It looks like someone added side panels from Mk.3 boxes to Mk.5 box tops.

Also I believe that Besa MG barrel tip / flash suppressor should stick out from the mantlet.

EDIT: I thought that those sponson boxes are the sample kit builder mistake, but they already had that error in the CAD drawing:

So they are probably not included in the kit...

Hello, Pawel!

You have very good eyes!

Maybe AFV CLUB will correct these errors before the model itself goes on the market..?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:13 AM UTC
I saw it explained by someone at Bovington and an acknowledged Cent expert that the only real difference between a Mark 3 and 5 was the coaxial machine gun.

The storage boxes appeared during Mark 3 production and Cents in Korea had them.

But it would be nice to see the earlier boxes considering they did all the work for the Mark 1, why not everything for the Mark 3?

The Mark 1 can be seen in the Afv-club display so maybe we'll see it in a Afv-club box as opposed to the Girls und Panzer der Film Platz boxing.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw it explained by someone at Bovington and an acknowledged Cent expert that the only real difference between a Mark 3 and 5 was the coaxial machine gun.

The storage boxes appeared during Mark 3 production and Cents in Korea had them.

That's true, I've seen photos of Mk3s in Korea with late boxes, but early boxes were more common. And those boxes on a model shown in the article pictures are messed up - half early and half late...

Also considering that change from Besa to Browning coax was the reason of Mk3 to Mk5 designation change, it is even more suprising omission that Besa barrel is not visible in the model mantlet!

Quoted Text

But it would be nice to see the earlier boxes considering they did all the work for the Mark 1, why not everything for the Mark 3?

Sponson boxes in their/Platz A41 kit had smooth cover lids, without the X-shaped reinforcements... I don't know if this is an error, or were A41 boxes different from those used in Mk.3 and other earlier production marks?...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That's true, I've seen photos of Mk3s in Korea with late boxes, but early boxes were more common. And those boxes on a model shown in the article pictures are messed up - half early and half late...

Quoted Text

Sponson boxes in their/Platz A41 kit had smooth cover lids, without the X-shaped reinforcements... I don't know if this is an error, or were A41 boxes different from those used in Mk.3 and other earlier production marks?...

The A41 were plain covers. Bovington was consulted for that kit. But half and half on the Mark 3?

They hire a former Dragon black label guy?
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AFV Club have been a bit confused when it comes to their Shot Kal Gimel and Dalet releases, so they seem to be doing fine on their own.

I pointed out the boxes when they displayed a test build a year ago at Shizuoka 2018. Last fall they showed the new sprue added and it did not contain the top part for the top loading bins. ... as were pointed out to them again.

Well... fingers crossed and all that...

Cheers,
/E
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Mark 1 can be seen in the Afv-club display so maybe we'll see it in a Afv-club box as opposed to the Girls und Panzer der Film Platz boxing.

Yes, b-b-but, but... They can charge MORE MONEY for the "GIRLS und PANZER" stuff...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The A41 were plain covers. Bovington was consulted for that kit. But half and half on the Mark 3?

Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 03:50 AM UTC
Wow, what a nice change of pace: an AFV that actually existed! These were great tanks in their day and are still performing useful duty in some countries, I'm sure. Now there's longevity! The kit is most welcome.
 _GOTOTOP