_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Applique armour
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 07:47 PM UTC
Couldn't really pick where this should go.
What is the best means of attachment of applique armour, weld, bolt or ?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 08:01 PM UTC
I guess it depends

On the AAV, the armor plates are bolted to brackets which are in turn bolted to welded lugs on the hull to make them removable :

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 08:49 PM UTC
Applique armour simply welded or bolted directly on to the original armour only increases the thickness.
If it is mounted on holders so that there is an empty space (see image posted by H.P. above) there is also the chance of messing with the timing/effect of a missile/projectile.

The standoff plate must be solid enough to set off the detonator in the missile/projectile. Shaped charge warheads which create a jet of white hot metal to melt/burn its way through the armour. With stand-off plates the designers hope to reduce the effectiveness of this metal jet.

Then it also depends on what you are trying to show. Is it a factory produced applique distributed as a kit? Was it added already in the factory or during a factory rebuild.
Something cobbled together by the troops (Super Pershing up-armoured by welding/bolting on pieces of a cut up Panther or Tiger)?
German Pz IVs had both bolt on kits added in the factory and stand-off plates like Schürzen or the stuff added around the turrets.

Figure out a plausible history, think about the facilities/resources available when adding the applique and decide on a mounting system. If it is too elaborate it will be difficult to scratch build ....

A village welder can work with steel but aluminium will be trickier ......
/ Robin
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
I'm thinking steel and factory fit. Heavy enough to take/disrupt typical late WW2 APC rounds.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 10:40 PM UTC
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/M10_Tank_Destroyer_%281%29.jpg LARGE image

The "warts" on the sides are mounting points for planned extra armour.

I am not 100% certain about the Cromwell, you may try Googling for more/better facts.
This Cromwell tank also has applique armour and I think the "warts" are the bolts holding the armour in position

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Cromwell_in_the_Kubinka_Museum.jpg

The Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. E had 30 mm of extra armour bolted (hex heads) directly to the outside of the original armour. Later versions had the extra metal included from start.

Some other panzers (some pz III's I think) had stand off armour plates in some areas.

The difference in turret shape between these two A13's (different marks) is due to add-on armour

/ Robin
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
A observation from WWII British tank crews, "Nothing keeps out an 88."

If you are thinking 1945 or later I believe welding would be the preferred method. Lower set up costs, no extra steps like boring drill holes for bolts etc.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC
ERA type of armor neede to be replaceable. There are times it needs to be removed. It is an explosive and does not need to always to be attached. Add on steel plate is another story. It can be welded, bolted or riveted on. It will probably not be removed. Steel plate is probably best welded on.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 02:26 AM UTC
Bolted armour had a habit of send bolts flying out as shrapnel making it lethal to anyone near by and was favoured by the British. A hit on bolted armour often resulted in the loss of the additional plate. Welded armour was superior in this regard and did not come off so easily.
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 03:30 PM UTC
So for simple sakes, an I beam or the like welded to the base armour for standoff, then the applique over that. Practical?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 04:10 PM UTC
Easy to do, and would allow for any lumps or bumps on the main armor. How practical depends on what you are adding armor to.
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 06:10 PM UTC
Large flat surfaces
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 07:28 PM UTC
Andy I believe he is asking what vehicle not where on a vehicle.
Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 07:35 PM UTC
A Tiger 2 the next step on from July45 but not an E-75 yet. Horrendously overloaded. I'm debating just extra plate straight on the hull and turret sides, or a anti heat packages with an appearance similar to a Merkava 2. The hull sides are difficult to fit without putting a big stand off in or vertical them ala panzer 4 skirts. I don't want to put just a big hunk of mesh either.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
Sorry Robin
I see no evidence of that Cromwell having appliqué armour, which was fitted to the front of some welded hull versions (not this one though). The turret of all Cromwells is made from an inner welded steel shell to which the thicker outer armour was bolted. This avoided the flying rivets issue which could arise if a rivetted component was hit by a projectile and reflected the DTD’s doubts as to the concept of welding armour directly.

Thus while the turret faces consisted of two plates, it was not appliqué as such as it had always been designed that way.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thanks Robert!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A Tiger 2 the next step on from July45 but not an E-75 yet. Horrendously overloaded. I'm debating just extra plate straight on the hull and turret sides, or a anti heat packages with an appearance similar to a Merkava 2. The hull sides are difficult to fit without putting a big stand off in or vertical them ala panzer 4 skirts. I don't want to put just a big hunk of mesh either.

I think I now understand what you are trying to do. In this case I believe the plates would be attached directly to the turret and hull sides. If you want to follow the trend that German industry used in WWII, then the added armor can be welded, or use those large cone shaped rivets like on the Elephants. The rivets would look nicer than welds, and be simpler to do, both in a what if 1945/46 scenario and on your bench. Cut the add on plates a little smaller than the plate they are being attached to, rough up all the edges, add some big rivets/bolts and you will have a easily done and visually appealing applique.

Here is what I am doing on a what it 1945/46 Panther (waiting for me to get off my duff and finish it).

Andy120
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 06:17 AM UTC
is that a dragon or amusing panther? conical bolts it is.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is that a dragon or amusing panther? conical bolts it is.

This is the Dragon Panther F with Dragon Panther II and a little of everything I had lying around. Meng makes some nice rivet sets. That's what I used.
 _GOTOTOP