_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
MiniArt: Tramcar with Figures
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 04:28 AM UTC

Darren Baker takes a look at the latest European Tramcar offering which this time comes with Crew and Passengers that show all aspects of MiniArts products.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 04:40 AM UTC
The figures make a nice addition
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC
The tram builds up very nicely as you can see from my pair of trams.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
Bill, I always loved the tram-a-lot! ...🚃🚃

Around the forums, when it comes to MiniArt Trams, a common theme seems to appear... Remember the old Lay’s Potato Chips adage... “Bet you can't eat (build) just one!” In case you haven’t been following, here’s Tim Martin’s ’Operation Anthropoid’ ...🚋🚃🚃

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 11:20 AM UTC
A useful re-release though I had had plans on using mine appropriately gutted as part of a street barrier. Guess I'll just use the extras elsewhere eventually.
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:24 AM UTC
Excellent review Darren & I fully endorse your praise for this kit. Having (nearly) built/customized three of them I offer the following additional comments;

The jamming of too many sprues in not enough separate bags did cause damage to several items in each of my boxes. However with care they can (in most cases) be repaired with glue/cyano before removal from the sprue. Having said that, one of the many great points about this kit is the plastic itself, forgivingly flexible which is a life-saver when detaching the many ultra-fine parts. I can only think that the breakages in my kits must have been caused by someone hurling the boxes against a wall several times.

I think you’re correct that the electrical pick-up was reversible (and isn’t allowed for in the kit) but because the tram is identical at each end it can be simple turned around on the track if necessary. Yes the spring should have been in brass (it’s diabolical to free from the sprue) and even better if the handrails & driver handle were also. The other problem with the vac-form base (apart from the dimples) is that it’s too flimsy and sags in the middle under the (considerable) weight of the tram, so it needs bracing underneath - I just used lengths of empty sprue, of which they’ll be plenty when everything’s completed. And MiniArt does offer separate additional track-base & power pole sets to extend a diorama.

Another aspect is painting the beast – not straightforward, and maybe the instructions could be more assertive about when to paint – and not paint – the sub-assemblies. Obvious to experienced modelers maybe, but (for example) the instructions just assume you remembered to paint the bulkhead walls and interleaved sliding doors before marrying/installing them, and the glass within them.

I agree it's overall a brilliant production, and a welcome (albeit challenging) breath of fresh air from building AFVs.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other problem with the vac-form base (apart from the dimples) is that it’s too flimsy and sags in the middle under the (considerable) weight of the tram, so it needs bracing underneath - I just used lengths of empty sprue, of which they’ll be plenty when everything’s completed. And MiniArt does offer separate additional track-base & power pole sets to extend a diorama.

I turn the bases upside and pour in plaster of paris which solves the issue of flexing anywhere on the base. Use the sides to level the plaster though.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 03:19 AM UTC
Great review Darren, ad excellent additional notes Tim. Thank you both very much. Its on the wishlist but not very likely anytime in the near future.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 07:19 AM UTC
Thanks Tim & Darren for a couple of very good tips on this kit.
I've got some ideas for this kit...….
 _GOTOTOP