_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Marines in back of LVT-4
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
Does anyone make 1/35 scale figures that depict marines in the back of an LVT-4 getting ready to hit the beach, so far I’ve only found crews for the lvt-4 but that’s as close as I’ve come, or are there any figures that could be modified.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone make 1/35 scale figures that depict marines in the back of an LVT-4 getting ready to hit the beach, so far I’ve only found crews for the lvt-4 but that’s as close as I’ve come, or are there any figures that could be modified.

Quite a few years ago, VERLINDEN, WARRIORS and CUSTOM DIORAMICS made WWII US Marine figures, most of which were made in "fighting-action"-poses; some of these were disembarking from LVT-vehicles and some were LVT-Crew Members.

I don't remember seeing any that were posed as waiting inside the LVTs just before debarkation. You can comb Ebay; these are several vendors which carry some of the older VERLINDEN, WARRIORS and CUSTOM DIORAMICS WWII US Marines, but these have been disappearing as time goes on. Some of these figures are being produced by "pirates", so be careful of whom you buy from.

There are other WWII US Marine figures out there, but none of them are quite what you're looking for... MASTER BOX and DRAGON come to mind, but these guys are in "action-poses". If you have experience in figure converting, you could probably try doing something with them. You could also try extensively "modifying" the ITALERI LCVP US Army "On Board" figure set into US Marines, but good luck with that...

WWII US Marines especially, have been given short-shrift by the model figure manufacturers...

GOOD LUCK!!!
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC
I thought i had seen a few super dioramas with figures like this but that was ages ago. Yeah it seems like whenever i get a good idea or want a certain pose i can’t find the figure until it’s months later. I saw the master box figures and thought those were a little better. May try the italerie figures but I’m not as versed in marine Corp uniforms vs army uniforms.
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 12:03 PM UTC
Depending on the beach they are hitting.....The Italeri figures would be fine for Iwo Jima and or Peleliu beach landings as some marines initially wore the M1941 Field Jackets like their Army brethren. These were quickly removed given the heat of Peleliu, Iwo Jima I think was a bit cooler. Also to note at these landings the gaiters which the trousers are bloused into were worn uniformed contrary to a lot of other marines with trousers not bloused and worn outside the gaiters over the boots in other Island landings. The trousers will need the pockets scraped off for the herring bone twill green look.
For guys standing in the back of the LVT these will be fine...In saying that I believe the May west/ life vest flotation devices may be different for the Marines than the Army boys in the Italeri kit....
I personally have used Masterbox 1:35 US soldiers Overlord 1944 "Move Move Move" set and the US Rangers D-DAY set, Dragon US 29TH Inf. Omaha Beach for Marines at Iwo Jima and Peleliu (with a lot of cutting, scraping pockets off pants..lol) .....but you need to check reference material for correct webbing/ packs used again as there are some variations with kit from Marine - Army.

As previous mentioned the Warriors and Verlinden resin kits are nice but again have a lot of figures with pants not bloused and no M1941 Jackets on....so depending what beach you are hitting or you don't care for detail these are great.

Great reference material/ reading for uniforms...Osprey Campaign 81, Iwo Jima. (M1941 Jackets and gaiters in a lot of images)

Helmet for my pillow...by Robert Leckie.

With the Old Breed....Eugene Sledge.

The Pacific Mini Series HBO...again historically accurate for uniforms worn at different beaches.

Great art work (detail provided by vets who were there, TWILL SHIRTS and M1941 JACKETS WORN).....Off the Beach!
- With The Old Breed on Peleliu -
a fine art print by Matt Hall
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 12:25 AM UTC
Would the army have used the LVT-4 int the pacific as well, such as at Okinawa? There was mention of using the “On board” army figures in the LVT-4, maybe i could modify them a bit, maybe get some marine heads with the helmet covers on them too?
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would the army have used the LVT-4 int the pacific as well, such as at Okinawa?

Yes, in the Philippines. Considering the large number of Army troops involved, it’s pretty safe to say in Okinawa too.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Depending on the beach they are hitting.....The Italeri figures would be fine for Iwo Jima and or Peleliu beach landings as some marines initially wore the M1941 Field Jackets like their Army brethren. These were quickly removed given the heat of Peleliu, Iwo Jima I think was a bit cooler. Also to note at these landings the gaiters which the trousers are bloused into were worn uniformed contrary to a lot of other marines with trousers not bloused and worn outside the gaiters over the boots in other Island landings. The trousers will need the pockets scraped off for the herring bone twill green look.
For guys standing in the back of the LVT these will be fine...In saying that I believe the May west/ life vest flotation devices may be different for the Marines than the Army boys in the Italeri kit....
I personally have used Masterbox 1:35 US soldiers Overlord 1944 "Move Move Move" set and the US Rangers D-DAY set, Dragon US 29TH Inf. Omaha Beach for Marines at Iwo Jima and Peleliu (with a lot of cutting, scraping pockets off pants..lol) .....but you need to check reference material for correct webbing/ packs used again as there are some variations with kit from Marine - Army.

As previous mentioned the Warriors and Verlinden resin kits are nice but again have a lot of figures with pants not bloused and no M1941 Jackets on....so depending what beach you are hitting or you don't care for detail these are great.

Great reference material/ reading for uniforms...Osprey Campaign 81, Iwo Jima. (M1941 Jackets and gaiters in a lot of images)

Helmet for my pillow...by Robert Leckie.

With the Old Breed....Eugene Sledge.

The Pacific Mini Series HBO...again historically accurate for uniforms worn at different beaches.

Great art work (detail provided by vets who were there, TWILL SHIRTS and M1941 JACKETS WORN).....Off the Beach!
- With The Old Breed on Peleliu -
a fine art print by Matt Hall

Those are VERY GOOD references- I Have the HBO "The Pacific" mini-series and both books. Great reads, both books, and HBO mini-series is well worth watching...

As I said in my earlier post, the DRAGON, MASTER BOX, and of course the MINIART "Move, move, move" US Army figure sets which Jason mentioned, are great starting points, but prior figure building/converting skills would definitely be helpful in your project...

If you're patient and you have the skills, it CAN be done!

GOOD LUCK!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC
Of course for an LVT-4 you could do something from the crossing the Rhine. British guys standing still are a bit more common? The old Tamiya British patrol set would be a good start.

The US 17th Airborne was also ferried across the Rhine.

The ancient Italeri US Marines were just standing around with a wounded Marine. Replace the heads and they're all right.

At least one diorama back in the day used the Airfix multi-pose Marines for the scene just overlooking the scale difference.

There were also several river crossing in the ETO using US LVTs as well as use, If I recall correctly; Anzio.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course for an LVT-4 you could do something from the crossing the Rhine. British guys standing still are a bit more common? The old Tamiya British patrol set would be a good start.

The US 17th Airborne was also ferried across the Rhine.

The ancient Italeri US Marines were just standing around with a wounded Marine. Replace the heads and they're all right.

At least one diorama back in the day used the Airfix multi-pose Marines for the scene just overlooking the scale difference.

There were also several river crossing in the ETO using US LVTs as well as use, If I recall correctly; Anzio.

Wasn’t aware of Anzio having LVT-4 at it but as of right now I’m merely in the planning stages of this diorama.

I think i have the patience to do a few figure modifications it just depends on how drastic of a modification it is.

I have seen a few dio’s with British figures and thought of using the British soldiers patrolling. The move move move kit would be perfect for a just hitting the beach scene along with some of the aforementioned dragon kits. Now just to decide what i want to portray.
Thanks again guys !
 _GOTOTOP