_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Help w/ rough "grainy" paint texture on figs.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hello all!
I hope everyone is having an awesome week!
As the title suggests, I can't understand why my figure painting finish is so bad. I'm back after a 5 yr break but the problem is too. I use Vallejo Model Color acrylics, sometimes thinned with their medium thinner, yet I get this rough patchy grainy finish regardless. I'm including 2 photos as my latest example. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hey Nathan,
Welcome back, I use Vellejo as well and whenever I get grain or less than perfect finish I either have a paint that has gone bad or dust/debris in the paint/brush that's the cause.
For the former just replace the old paint for the latter check that your work area is especially dust/grit free.
Hope that helps.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 06:37 AM UTC
Multiple, thin coats area best with Vallejo. I thin my Vallejo Model Colors around 1:1 using either their proprietary thinner or...

A home made mixture of 1:1 ordinary water and artist acrylic matt medium to which I add 5% by volume, each, artist acrylic flow enhance (aka "flow aide") and an artist acrylic drying retarder. This home made mixture is many times less expensive than the Vallejo proprietary Model Color thinner with the added advantage that I also use a lot of artist matt medium as a light duty adhesive (on ground work, etc.)

The brand names of the ingredients for this home made mixture don't matter. Golden works with Grumbacher works with W&N works with... I've never found any of the regular artist acrylic paint products that were not compatible across brands.

I usually need two or three coats of thinned Vallejo over a white or light gray primer coat. Using thin coats also preserves details.

Remember that unlike hobby enamels, you cannot brush out acrylic paints once they start to dry. If you do, you'll get lumps and bumps from the clotted, semi-dried paint. No amount of thinner on your brush will re-dissolve acrylic paint that has started to dry.

So, apply the paint, allowing it to flow onto the surface and leave it alone until it dries. If you need subsequent coats, allow each previous coat to hard-dry before applying the next one.

HTH
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Multiple, thin coats area best with Vallejo....

good advice for all of us; an ounce of prevention & all that.

thanks
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Nathan,
Welcome back, I use Vellejo as well and whenever I get grain or less than perfect finish I either have a paint that has gone bad or dust/debris in the paint/brush that's the cause.
For the former just replace the old paint for the latter check that your work area is especially dust/grit free.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Chris!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Multiple, thin coats area best with Vallejo. I thin my Vallejo Model Colors around 1:1 using either their proprietary thinner or...

A home made mixture of 1:1 ordinary water and artist acrylic matt medium to which I add 5% by volume, each, artist acrylic flow enhance (aka "flow aide") and an artist acrylic drying retarder. This home made mixture is many times less expensive than the Vallejo proprietary Model Color thinner with the added advantage that I also use a lot of artist matt medium as a light duty adhesive (on ground work, etc.)

The brand names of the ingredients for this home made mixture don't matter. Golden works with Grumbacher works with W&N works with... I've never found any of the regular artist acrylic paint products that were not compatible across brands.

I usually need two or three coats of thinned Vallejo over a white or light gray primer coat. Using thin coats also preserves details.

Remember that unlike hobby enamels, you cannot brush out acrylic paints once they start to dry. If you do, you'll get lumps and bumps from the clotted, semi-dried paint. No amount of thinner on your brush will re-dissolve acrylic paint that has started to dry.

So, apply the paint, allowing it to flow onto the surface and leave it alone until it dries. If you need subsequent coats, allow each previous coat to hard-dry before applying the next one.

HTH

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!
 _GOTOTOP