_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya's Opel Blitz
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 02:18 PM UTC
I always wondered what model year it represents, but have no way of knowing. Anybody does know?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 04:36 PM UTC
This site says it a 1937 design. The Tamiya kit is an early war version, but they soldiered on to the end.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=519
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 10:34 PM UTC
Yes, and it's a very nice kit, too!!!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 11:01 PM UTC
I am assuming that we are discussing the 1/35 kit (Tamiya have a 1/48 kit as well ...)

The wheels/rims makes it an "early"
but the reinforced rear springs came later.
The reinforced springs do not match the timeframe for the wheels.
Wheels can be replaced with 8-hole rims (resin, aftermarket) on both axles or the rear springs can be backdated.
More details here:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tamiya/tam35291.html

/ Robin
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 11:28 PM UTC
Built both the tamiya blitz and Dragon blitz-Dragon's is a much better kit as tamiya's has many knock out marks and the Dragon's fit is better.
Dan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
The PMM site describes the chassis side frames as being of a "U" channel construction. I would correct that description. Since the height of the beam is roughly 3 times it's width we would normally call this (at least in the States) a "C" channel beam.

I have often scraped the inside and outside sides of the rectangular bar beam type construction used on the model. I do this to thin this bar and then add Evergreen strip top and bottom to create a more true to life "C" channel frame member.

As seen here on this Blitz frame by Italeri:

You might also note that in addition I cut down thru the frame cross members and added an Evergreen strip to the top of those to create the proper inverted "U" channel construction there.

AND AGAIN: Seen here on the Opel Blitz bus frame as offered by Roden:

Personally I like to put the same level of detail into the underbody and frame that the hobby manufacture tries to put into the topside of the model.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The PMM site describes the chassis side frames as being of a "U" channel construction. Since the height of the beam is roughly 3 times it's width we would normally call this (at least in the States) a "C" channel beam.

I have often scraped the inside and outside sides of the rectangular bar beam type construction used on the model. I did this to thin this bar and then added Evergreen strip top and bottom to create a more true to life "C" channel frame member.

Hi, Mike!

Yes, you ARE the "Chassis Guy", after all... I STILL marvel over your scratch-built Mack NO 7 1/2-ton Truck project!!!

And your ICM WWI US Army "Liberty" Trucks- WOW!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Built both the tamiya blitz and Dragon blitz-Dragon's is a much better kit as tamiya's has many knock out marks and the Dragon's fit is better.
Dan

Hi, Dan!

Thanks for your input on the DRAGON Opel Blitz; I've been debating with myself over that kit. Now I want to get one!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 12:48 AM UTC
Dennis - I admit I am over the top (one might even say anal, in the chassis dept.) regarding potentially unseen added frame details.

Also thanks for the positive review of my resume.

p.s. Dan - thanks for your insights into the Dragon Blitz. I falsely assumed the molds were the same on both the new Tamiya Blitz and the Dragon offering. I will make sure my next Blitz is a Dragon!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:17 AM UTC
The Dragon kit was a pure pleasure to build and the tamiya not.
Dan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:27 AM UTC
Opel Blitz (2x4 & 4x4) walk around on the Armorama site at:

http://armorama.com/forums/218643&page=1
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:45 AM UTC
With four hobby manufactures offering a variety of plastic Blitz kits from freight, to bus, to coal gas WHY is no one offering a 4x4 Blitz in plastic ?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With four hobby manufactures offering a variety of plastic Blitz kits from freight, to bus, to coal gas WHY is no one offering a 4x4 Blitz in plastic ?

Copy cats?

While it is not a 3ton truck, how does the ICM 1.5 ton stack up against the others. I got their Ford truck, and it looks pretty nice.

I have both the Dragon Opel, and the Opel/Maultier. Never looked at the springs of any of them, so maybe I should find a decent reference.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could it be because there are resin 4x4 conversion kits for the Opel Blintz and that the plastic model manufacturers just don't want to bother with it, in EXACTLY the same way they don't want to bother with a proper M8 HMC..?

Yes, the extra "n" in my spelling of "Blitz" is on purpose; I was only being silly. Besides, the model manufacturers KNOW that Mike Koenig will build a 4x4 Opel Blitz for himself, anyway...
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They're working on it. The same guys doing a Mack NO and my M5HST. I'm totally kidding of course
BTW you ARE the go to source all things softskin.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan

Thanks for the warning. The kit stays in the attic.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dan

Thanks for the warning. The kit stays in the attic.

Tamiya can be hit or miss, and that one is a miss. I gave mine away to a nephew.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan

I dunno, I didn't think I had that much trouble with the TAMIYA Opel Spritz kit- I've put some REAL DOGS together in my time...

As far as wanting something that was really the ultimate Opel at the time, I would have to say "no". I just wanted something that was "representative" of the type. Not being an Opel "genius", I didn't know about the various "warts" that the TAMIYA kit embodied. The next time I want to build a Blintz, it will be the DRAGON kit. However, it's not a "priority", and with all of the tariff nonsense and price-war BS going on, I'm going to make sure that the kit I eventually buy will be an un-built, un-started one that some domestic guy just wants to unload on Ebay...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm going to make sure that the kit I eventually buy will be an un-built, un-started one that some domestic guy just wants to unload on Ebay...

Amen to that. That's how I got mine. Be careful and scroll all the way down the page. I got a great deal only to find out it wasn't new, it was started, but the vendor sort of hid that waaaaay down the page. How can it be new if it was started?
 _GOTOTOP