_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP SDKFZ 184 Ferdinand.
AKMGuru
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hey all so this is my first armor model in many years as I kind of lost interest and took on other hobbies. Recently got the itch again and delved into some German armor.

Building up the Zsvezda Ferdinand in 1/35 scale.

So far going good. Tank is assembled, used black primer , then German yellow as a base and German light green for the camouflage scheme.

Have it a filter to blend it in, added decals and have it a coat of varnish..

Today I will start the weathering process. And as soon as my burnishing fluid arrives I can assemble and install the frueil metal tracks.

ijozic
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 03:48 AM UTC
Looks pretty nice. The kit might be a spiritual replacement for the venerable Italeri kit, given its relative simplicity.

I want to do one Ferdinand myself, but I'll wait for the Amusing Hobby variant with full interior to see what's that going to be like (and how expensive).
AKMGuru
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
Finished up initial weathering, chips, pin wash , and streaking.

Now just need to hit up some dust pigments and mud in running wheels. And finish painting the tow cables / install.

AKMGuru
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 11:37 PM UTC
Added some pigments. Now just waiting on my metal tracks.

HappyMartian
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 - 06:33 PM UTC
Despite it's absolutely terrible performance in battle (not counting the gun), the Ferdinand and Elefant are still my favourite tanks from WWII. You've done a great job on that Zvezda kit. Should look a beast with the Fruil tracks.
AKMGuru
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Despite it's absolutely terrible performance in battle (not counting the gun), the Ferdinand and Elefant are still my favourite tanks from WWII. You've done a great job on that Zvezda kit. Should look a beast with the Fruil tracks.

Yeah it was an over engineered beast that ultimately did it in. Much like the tiger II.

I got the play around with one of the few remaining intact SDKFZ 184, when I was in the army stationed at APG Maryland, they had it sitting out by the rail head where it was dumped off after being acquired from the war. It was to heavy to move anywhere else and lay there for decades rotting away. Anyone on base could see it and climb around it.

They finally restored it a few years ago. And I think it’s now at Fort Lee in Virginia. At the new ordinance museum.

This tank I believe fought at Kursk and Italy. And was then abandoned in Italy in ‘44
It had numerous shell damage to the front mantlet but no pen’s.
AKMGuru
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 12:51 PM UTC
All finished.

_GOTOTOP