_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting on the sprue?
mkultra
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC
I'm a newbie so please be kind

Recently starting 1/35 modelling again after a break of a few years.

And I have a question regarding painting, specifically is it better to paint kits on the plastic sprue? Or remove the parts first then paint? Or a combination?

I've been using the combination method (small bits painted on the sprue, larger parts off) but what are you guys opinions?

Thanks
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 12:38 PM UTC
I think you are on the right track with your approach. I do much the same most of the time. Once in a while I will assemble 100% and paint, but not often. You have to be careful about the gluing of the small parts when you do this, making sure you scratch off the paint at points of contact.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 01:16 PM UTC
I cut off all the parts from the sprue. Then after sanding, filing etc. I glue the parts with some white glue to a wooden stick. The advantages of this method are:

* Parts are "done" before they are painted. So they're filed sanded etc.
* Good grip while painting, you dont have to touch the parts before and during painting
* You can easily disconnect the part from the wooden stick and.....where the white glue was before on the part...there's now nothing left, so no glue, no paint. This comes in handy when you have to glue the parts to the model.

In this link is an example of how this looks :

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/eaglecorner.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=53
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
I will remove the parts from the sprue first. I find that the clean up portion of removing seam lines, filling holes, sanding spue cut off leftovers etc. ends up removing most of the paint or leaves to much touch up and the combination of brush paint spots and airbrush finish doesn't leave me very pleased. I'm a little OC on the clean up part.

If you are worried about loosing the small pieces I will remove them, clean them, then put them aside in an old (emptied) altoids tin until I'm ready for them.

Painting the small stuff off the sprue is done by using a small clap to hold the piece (hopefuly in an inconspicuous location). Or I will put a piece of masking tape on one side to hold it.

Always remember there are no mistakes, just unintended adventures.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 09:56 PM UTC
WHAT?? YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT ...What were you doing.....
SLEEPING, When the teacher went over that part in class...HUH?? Shame on you. And just
for that You will just have to figure it out for yourself....The rest of us were PAYING ATTENTION..Why weren't you ??!!
NOW... What was the question...He-He-He... Here is the process that I use. Initially I will paint the parts on the sprue tree. Or I will go ahead and remove the part, Sand it, And then using either a pair of old Pliers, Tweezers or what ever itme that ie suitable for you.. Holding it with that.. Paint the part.. And then glue into place .Some times you might be able you paint and sand that part and then position it with out having to touch it up. BUT mostly the trick is to use what ever technique that is suitable to you and will produce the best results.
So good luck and Welcome back to the game.

DAGGER-1 LUCK ?? I Don't Believe in Luck, Only Cold Hard Cash And Hot Lead !!
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:26 AM UTC
I do the same thing as Danny (Eagle), except I stick the pieces onto stiff cardboard with masking tape. Most of the model is built before I paint it. Mainly for the wheels and rollers do I use this method.

Nic
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
I fancy "the part on a stick thing" because I can pick it up, and paint it on all sides (except the gluespot ofcourse).

Smaller parts are glued to matchsticks. The glue is just strong enough so that you can handle it very well. When ready I just break it off....
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
Never thought of the white glue thing... great idea and it gives me something to use the package of popcicle stick I bought! Learn something every day!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
Eagle'sgot the right idea! I use cut pieces of dowel instead of the shelf holding plugs, but same idea.
As far as painting things on the sprue? I for one, cannot understand it. I guess I'm a bit anal about cleaning up seams and such. Can't understand how someone can paint something that still has some flash on it.......just me I guess.

Tread.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Smaller parts are glued to matchsticks. The glue is just strong enough so that you can handle it very well. When ready I just break it off....

That is a good idea. I didn't quite realize what you meant the first time. With my method of sticking the pieces to cardboard you have to do one side at a time. But working with flat paints, by the time your finished painting all the pieces on one side, the first ones you did are dry so you can just flip them over and stick them on with the other side facing up. Of course, you want to use fairly low tack tape, but I haven't had any problems yet. Just to be safe, though, I always paint the back of the wheels or underside of a piece first, then flip it so that the good side will be facing up permanently, if that makes sense.

Nic
mkultra
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

thanks for the tips. i've started by painting some of the small bits on the sprue and taking off the larger bits, luckily the Tamiya kit i'm working on doesn't seem to have too many seams and using a small piece of sandpaper i've removed most of them anyhow. Thanks again!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 07:42 AM UTC
Be careful to avoid the 'paint the road wheels on the sprue because there's so damn many of them' siren! She is a vicious wench indeed! Cast's a spell on ya she does.
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghh, matey!

Tread. #:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 05:17 PM UTC
What i do for wheels is take them of the sprue, clean them and then stick a match in the hole
that will be used to glue them. Normaly, you souldn't even need white glue to hold the wheel
to the match. That way, you can easily manipulate it to paint any part.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 06:28 PM UTC
interesting method, Danny.

Advantage of painting separate parts : they are easy to reach from all sides. Assembled parts may be more difficult to paint.

Disadvantage of painting separate parts : the paint may influence the correct assembly (glue). You still need to fill seems, sand, etc... so you may have to redo some painting, etc...

I only glue separate parts when I suspect there may be a problem in painting details after assembly.

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
I used to paint as many parts as I could while they were on the sprue, but I got sick of having to touch up the paint job after I took the part off the sprue. Now, I do the combo method mentioned above. I've got most of my M41 glued together, ready for paint! (that's right, folks! Ol' Yoda has been building a model in his time away from the site! )
Before I forget, welcome to the best modelbuilding site on the web, Mkultra! :-)

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP