_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Some research info...
D-Cycle
Visit this Community
Västerbotten, Sweden
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
To my latest dio (which I already started on), I still have some details that need to be completed.

Background: WWII-dio, a road passing by two ruins (one is more like a big pile of rubble, the other with acctual walls. In the rubble-pile, there is a MG-nest, facing the road. On the road, there will be some kind of checkpoint. Inside the ruin (w walls) there are some kind of simpler commandpost. Table (I'll place a map on it), a heater, and a raincover above the table. The ruins look old and weatherd, not newly blewn up.
I've two figures, which I intend to place in the dio. These come from Academys 1377 - "German Infantry set 'Battle Of The Bulge 1944'".
The setting is to take place in late autum, near winter, in early morning. There will be puddles of ice on the road, and frost on the ground - not yet snow, as early autum mornings can be, when the temprature drops somewhere below zero.

Now I have following questions:
- Where/when should this dio take place? Somewhere in Northwest france/belgium? Any appropiate suggestions?
- What kind of field radios was used by the germans then? References?
- The MG intented to use in the nest, is a Mg43. What kind of boxes whas the ammo belts transported in? In which direction was the shell casings ejected (some mg:s eject them downwards, some more forward)?
- What kind of signs was used by the germans, for minefields? The only reference I've used for this, is from the game "Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault", where the signs are rectangular, white base, red parallell borders up and down, and "Minen" in black text.
- What kind of camouflage netting was used by the germans? And suggestions how to construct it easy? I've tried to use a tangerine net, but materials doesn't glue easy on it (with white glue).

These aren't deadly important details for the dio, but I thought it would add some extra level of realism for it.
/Daniel
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
Sounds like a nice layout. Planning is key. For size and positioning I would recommend mocking up paper version of each piece and laying out on a false base to get better perspective.

As far as where - I can quote any towns. But here are some sites that will help
http://www.ehistory.com/wwii/books/bulge2/0576.cfm
http://ardenne44.free.fr/

As far as the canisters for ammo, they came in the metal narrow rectangular style boxes. It is my understanding that they ejected out the right side of the mg.
Not sure about the radios or signage.

Netting - try medical gause, or go to a dried flower shop and get some decorative lace wedding vail 'stuff' A cloth shop would have it too. The guase you'll have to streatch out a bit.
 _GOTOTOP