Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurion replacement tracks/wheels
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 06:26 AM UTC
I have an Ace Centurion. The tracks are so-so, but the wheels are all mis-moulded. Does anyone make replacement tracks and wheelsets?

OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an Ace Centurion. The tracks are so-so, but the wheels are all mis-moulded. Does anyone make replacement tracks and wheelsets?

You can get both Wheels and Track from Sprue Brothers
They are from AFV Club #AFV 35101 Suspension & Wheels for $15.99
#AFV 35102 Workable Track for $21.49

Hope this helps.
Donald
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You can get both Wheels and Track from Sprue Brothers
They are from AFV Club #AFV 35101 Suspension & Wheels for $15.99
#AFV 35102 Workable Track for $21.49

Hope this helps.
Donald

The Ace kit is 1/72. Biggles, you might try one of the 1/72 Merkava kits. They can be found pretty cheap. If you get the old Esci kit, BPT split the road wheels and add spacers. The Revell Mk III kit has the dual wheels, but the front wheel is the spoked variety. If a set of the Ace wheels is okay you could use them in place of the spoked ones.
Finally, forget about Trumpeter - won't work.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 07:57 AM UTC
oooops you didn't specify what scale it was.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Us "semi-professional stash managers" know that Centurions
in 1/35th scale only come from Tamiya (yuck), Academy (yuck x 1.5) and AFV-Club (yummy) and Accurate Armour (resin).
The chassis as such (lots of IDF vehicles + an SADF Olifant) is available from a few other asian manufacturers.

Ace on the other hand is firmly entrenched in 1:72 (they have a few 1:48 kits as well but those are a minority of their products)

The 'braille scale' tag on the post is another subtle hint
/ Robin
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

in 1/35th scale only come from Tamiya (yuck), Academy (yuck x 1.5) and AFV-Club (yummy) and Accurate Armour (resin).
The chassis as such (lots of IDF vehicles + an SADF Olifant) is available from a few other asian manufacturers.

Ace on the other hand is firmly entrenched in 1:72 (they have a few 1:48 kits as well but those are a minority of their products)

/ Robin

I don't seeto good that's y I do nut do peanut scale.
I jus tri to helop .
Hey kick me some moooore.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

/ Robin

I don't seeto good that's y I do nut do peanut scale.
I jus tri to helop .
Hey kick me some moooore.

I don't do kicking, I merely "prod buttock" in a friendly manner
I decided that peanut scale was not for me loooong before I had to start using reading glasses. Might as well collect stamp sized pictures instead ....
Cheers / Robin
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 09:15 AM UTC
You might be able to pick up an old Airfix Centurion cheap for the wheels.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might be able to pick up an old Airfix Centurion cheap for the wheels.

The term "horrid little kit" comes to mind. One version has wheels and track as one a la Roco. The other isn't very good either, and although some boxings say 1/72 that's questionable. I think it's still the 1/76 version.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 02:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The term "horrid little kit" comes to mind. One version has wheels and track as one a la Roco. The other isn't very good either, and although some boxings say 1/72 that's questionable. I think it's still the 1/76 version.

I know, I know, but if the wheels are all you need and there is no other option.... I did say cheap
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know, I know, but if the wheels are all you need and there is no other option.... I did say cheap

Preferably wheels AND track. Aces' track is very soft and pliable, but un-glueable. They make the track in two lengths per side; total - four lengths. They're not like Dragon's material, and CA won't hold them while stretching them over wheels. The only way to secure them is the ancient needle and thread method .
I checked OKB Grigorov's calalog, as well as Scalemates, and Henk of Holland, but it seems NOBODY makes AM for Ace Centurion.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 02:35 AM UTC
A little late for this sage advice, but go with Cromwell next time. You won't be disappointed.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 03:01 AM UTC
Lo, and behold! Seek and ye shall find!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-7548-centurion-mk-1--1219032

I was considering contacting Cromwell Models for just the tracks and wheels (even though Cromwell has had some very bad press for ordering direct) when I found this future release from Dragon. May as well just wait for it.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2019 - 08:49 PM UTC
Dragon's 1/72 Centurion was announced on this site over a year ago, and is listed on the Dragon USA site as 7548, but there is no sign of that kit number if you search on the main Dragon Models site. I wonder if this is one of those kits we see mentioned that will never see the light of day. I couldn't find any reference to it in the Dragon FB page either.

As far as Cromwell goes, their Centurions all have the wheels and tracks moulded as one piece with the hull, so that won't be of any use in this case. They are also not cheap.

On the subject of buying Cromwell, if you order through a stockist that actually has the item in stock, such as Tracks and Troops, then things should be fine.

I think if you want to get your model finished any time soon, you might just have to improvise / deal with the parts in the Ace kit.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon's 1/72 Centurion was announced on this site over a year ago, and is listed on the Dragon USA site as 7548, but there is no sign of that kit number if you search on the main Dragon Models site. I wonder if this is one of those kits we see mentioned that will never see the light of day. I couldn't find any reference to it in the Dragon FB page either.

Yeah...I noticed that later. Release date was over a year ago. (Sigh)...another broken Dragon promise, and another broken dream! They're still looking for ways to incorporate various mistakes in the kit! So it's back to using horrible Ace wheel sets and track. At least, with the side shields in place, I only have to deal with the lower exposed half of the wheels, and the return rollers not at all. Good thing I'm not modelling the Australian version of Centurion!

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They're still looking for ways to incorporate various mistakes in the kit!

Or maybe there's a backlog in the instructions clarity reduction department.

There's always the scenic standby burying the lower half of the wheels and tracks in mud or vegetation option.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
Yeah; if you can't make it...fake it!
 _GOTOTOP