Hosted by Darren Baker
LRDG Chevrolet Camouflage Scheme ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 11:01 AM UTC
While searching for information on the colours applied to LRDG 30cwt Chevrolets, I have found various interpretations from both historians and modellers alike. These include overall light stone, light stone with a disruptive second colour, overall pink, pink with a disruptive second colour, and (although highly unlikely) Caunter scheme. Does anyone have a definitive answer? Of course, it is possible that the colours varied on each vehicle. The two examples covered in the Revell 1/76-scale kit are named 'Rotowai' and 'Tutira' ... any suggestions?
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 12:04 PM UTC
This website has a wealth of information on the LRDG. Hope it helps.

http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdg.html

I have that kit in my stash and I believe the Chevvy comes armed with a Vickers 50cal, which was mostly used in the early days of the LRDG. They swapped them for Vickers 303's, Lewis's or Boys AT after a short while as the 50 was an awkward weapon to use and apparently underpowered. So you would want to go with an early colour scheme with the kits weapon fit. It would depend on where they were operating, the terrain and what was available at the time. The site gives some recommendations on that, but I would research and look at as many photos as possible. Most show hard edged cammouflage schemes in the early days, which gave way to sprayed on splotches towards the end of the desert campaign.
I started Tamiyas a few years back that I painted in Humbrol gulf war dessert pink and light blue cammouflage. It's a bit gaudy and I may strip it and repaint at some point.

The LRDG were also very fond of scrounging weapons from crashed aircraft and it was not uncommon to see them fitted out with Vickers K's, Browning 30's and 50's (not M2's though, but the aircraft type with the full length cooling jacket) towards the end of their time in the dessert. Usually they were wing mounted guns that had no conventional grip and trigger, so they had to improvise and make their own!

Anyway hope the site helps, I know I'll be using it myself to finally get mine finished.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
Model Military International issue 43 has a quite interesting article on LRDG Chevy's and the camo.

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/magazine-backissues/model-military-international-backissues/
 _GOTOTOP