_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club AA7V Tracks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 11:30 PM UTC
Any better than what Hobby Boss has in their kit? I ask because I discovered I have a set in my stash.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC
There is some discussion about those tracks here:
http://armorama.com/forums/150064&page=1
/ Robin
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is some discussion about those tracks here:
http://armorama.com/forums/150064&page=1
/ Robin

I don't think they are needed for the Hobby Boss kit(s).

I Built the AAV7 as mentioned in the above thread here AAV7 with EEAK WIP and here AAV7 on display I found them easy to assemble and to try to sinulate the track sag.
Also easier to paint with seperate track pads.

I also have the AF35133 'Bigfoot' tracks, bought to update the Tamiya LVTP7 & never started. Since it suits the M2A2/M3A3 & MLRS/CV90, I'll keep them for that.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 11:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think they are needed for the Hobby Boss kit(s).

I Built the AAV7 as mentioned in the above thread here AAV7 with EEAK WIP and here AAV7 on display I found them easy to assemble and to try to sinulate the track sag.
Also easier to paint with seperate track pads.

I also have the AF35133 'Bigfoot' tracks, bought to update the Tamiya LVTP7 & never started. Since it suits the M2A2/M3A3 & MLRS/CV90, I'll keep them for that.

I'm doing Tamiya's AAVP7A1 and decided to replace the rubber band tracks as well. I picked up the Hobby Boss set of separate track blocks, which I'm guessing are near identical to the AFV Club set.
Unfortunately, they don't fit the Tamiya sprockets. The guide holes on the Hobby Boss blocks are set wider apart than the Tamiya sprocket teeth. Fortunately, I was able to acquire Academy's set of individual track links. They are not molded as well but they fit properly.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing Tamiya's AAVP7A1 and decided to replace the rubber band tracks as well. I picked up the Hobby Boss set of separate track blocks, which I'm guessing are near identical to the AFV Club set.
Unfortunately, they don't fit the Tamiya sprockets. The guide holes on the Hobby Boss blocks are set wider apart than the Tamiya sprocket teeth. Fortunately, I was able to acquire Academy's set of individual track links. They are not molded as well but they fit properly.

Could the sprocket be shimmed out to make it wider or is it the pitch of the teeth an issue?
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could the sprocket be shimmed out to make it wider or is it the pitch of the teeth an issue?

Pitch looks right and seems to fit decent. Shimming the sprocket carrier might work. The Academy and Hobby Boss tracks appear to be size, they even (dry) fit together without issue.
Second image I placed sprocket on Hobby Boss links with teeth in inside guide holes.
Third image sprocket is on Academy links with the Hobby Boss links set right behind the Academy links.

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 10:27 PM UTC
Can you split the sprockets where they were originally joined? Probably the best option.
AmTrac1833
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you split the sprockets where they were originally joined? Probably the best option.

That is definitely a possibility but, for this project I'll stick to the Academy tracks.
I'm modeling it of a typical P7 at 3D Assault Amphibian Battalion circa 1993. I've tweaked the suspension so she is bow down and listing to starboard - it was very noticeable on the tractors. For the roadwheels, I kept some inner portions bare metal as was the practice with these. I did not recall that detail until I was thumbing through my photo album. Right behind the turret sight I placed a "buffalo" .50cal round. That's where we would stick them while on the range and it was not uncommon to leave the range with a couple rounds tucked here and there (they would get dropped in the amnesty box on the ramp once we returned). It is getting some Voyager PE and a set of Hobby Fan EAAK.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

_GOTOTOP