_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Amusing Hobby Rheinmetall turret Panther II
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC
Any word on when this is actually going to show up?

I'd missed out on the resin Rheinmetall turret a while back.

When this was announced, I thought this one, as What If? models go, is fairly interesting.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, June 21, 2019 - 12:25 PM UTC
I don't know about the Rheinmetall turret, but these guys might have something for you. http://www.paperpanzer.com
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thank you. I had seen that site. I'm not into that sci-fi/fantasy "Panzer '46" stuff and the made-up-out-of-thin-air "cast turrets", for say, a Panther F, etc.

That said, the "mystery brackets" are interesting as they definitely did exist, but for what purpose, perhaps no one knows for certain.

I suppose I'll just have to wait on the Rheinmetall turret Panther II to "get there when it get there", to quote prank phone caller Junkyard Willie.
sauron
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC
Are you looking for this one?

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/mkfqoiam09nrwyagaicy.html

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you. I had seen that site. I'm not into that sci-fi/fantasy "Panzer '46" stuff and the made-up-out-of-thin-air "cast turrets", for say, a Panther F, etc.

That said, the "mystery brackets" are interesting as they definitely did exist, but for what purpose, perhaps no one knows for certain.

I suppose I'll just have to wait on the Rheinmetall turret Panther II to "get there when it get there", to quote prank phone caller Junkyard Willie.

I'm not 100% sure, but didn't ACCURATE ARMOR make a "Panther II Turret" to fit the old and "wrong" DRAGON "Panther II" kit..? I wound up using that old kit, making A LOT of "corrections" such as the Road Wheel positions and spacings, & different Sprockets and Rear Idler Wheels. (FRIUL TIGER II Transport Tracks, Sprockets and Rear Idlers)

I fabricated my own Turret, Main Gun and Main Gun Mantlet, and I re-worked the entire rear-end of my project with "more correct" Exhaust Pipes plus the whole of the Rear Upper Engine Deck...

Check Ebay- There are at least TWO different types of AMUSING HOBBY "Panther II" kits listed by several different Asian vendors; one of these kits may be what you're looking for...

GOOD LUCK!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any word on when this is actually going to show up?

I'd missed out on the resin Rheinmetall turret a while back.

When this was announced, I thought this one, as What If? models go, is fairly interesting.

I believe this was an actual proposed trum on print for either the Panther or Panther II? Would need to do some research, however I agree with you this makes for an interesting vehicle.

The kit is due out in July and is currently not listed on Amusing Hobby's, web site. I am planning on getting me a copy when it does come out.

~Eddy
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 23, 2019 - 09:40 AM UTC
That is a tremendous amount of work that went into correcting the old Panther II kit!

I have that kit. I bought it many years ago for $10 when I didn't know anything about that particular tank. I'd seen some photos of a Panther II, E50, etc. in the old Tony Greenland book and given that I was completely ignorant of late war panzers, I thought they were models of actual panzers!

Reading forums such as Armorama's clued me in about the actual history and the amount of work that would go into correcting the old Panther II kit. And so it sits in the closet...

Some years back, I mentioned on this forum that I was hoping someone would come out with a good Panther II. I do have both Amusing Hobby versions in my stash now.

The Rheinmetall turret, as I am to understand, was originally designed for the Panther II, but upon cancellation, was then to be used with the Panther. Rheinmetall was taking too long and so the new turret project was farmed out to some other firm.

I imagine someone could take the turret from this kit and put it on a Dragon Panther. I don't have the money for that right now; I can live with it on a Panther II chassis.

By the way, looks like that MNH striped camo is getting rather popular. It's both been used for the artwork for this and the Dragon Panther F with the crazy L/100 gun. (Yeah, I have that kit too. That is in line to be built next. I got the aftermarket aluminum barrel for it, which has a snug fit into the mantlet. I figure I could just insert it and swap it out with a normal Panther F barrel if it bugs me too much.)
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 09:44 AM UTC
This thing is starting to look like the Ersatz M10 Panther.

Anyone know if this is actually going to be released?
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2020 - 04:02 PM UTC
Well, it's finally out. Just ordered mine on eBay.

Will be interesting to see — what driver and radio operator hatches it has, etc.
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2020 - 05:47 PM UTC
Received the kit. Looks good. Molded in a tan plastic rather than gray as per the other Amusing Hobby Panther II kits.

Aside from the spare track links which are individual links, this kit instead has rubber band tracks. If that's not your thing, you'll need aftermarket tracks such as that available from Friul.

Driver and radio operator hatches are the Panther D/A type. I find this a bit odd. Granted, the actual vehicle never existed, but Rheinmetall stalled on the design. To my way of thinking, should the Rheinmetall turret have been available late in the war, the Panther G type hatches as per the "production" Panther II kits would seem to be more appropriate.

There's also an option for a raised crew heater, which again, to me makes for a bit of an odd mix.

That said, it's all hair-splitting over something that didn't get off the drawing board anyway.

At a glance, everything looks good, but the commander's cupola seems shallow or low when compared to the drawings in Jentz's Panther book.

An aftermarket Panther cupola from TMD might be more appropriate here.

Pilze sockets look to be on the thick side. I may cut them off and replace them.

As with the other Panther II kits, periscopes are not clear plastic. If you want those, FineMolds is probably the way to go.

The disc-like rangefinder bulges on the side of the turret don't quite match the drawings in the Jentz book. They have slots instead of circular openings as per the drawings. No big deal. I can live with that.

For someone with extra disposable income, a good kitbash would be putting the turret on a Panther G or Panther F hull.

With a Panther G kit, you could then model the extant Panther II with the G turret. Win-win.

As shown, the box art illustrates the tank in the popular MNH camo. Maybe finishing it with a MAN-type camo might be more "accurate?"

Of course, you'll need at least one primer red wheel and primer red hatches, if you're going to be taken seriously at all with this...

But overall, if you're into the paper panzer thing, this one will be definitely worth your while. I'm looking forward to building it.
 _GOTOTOP