_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Any 1/35 IDF small arms?
miwashi
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:29 PM UTC
I was wondering if anyone makes 1/35 IDF small arms like rifles and things? I know there are already things like M60s and M16s but I want something more IDF-specific.
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
Dragon made some Israeli paratroopers in their Elite forces series. i think theyre still available
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:36 PM UTC
Black Dog has a Tavor set: http://www.blackdog.cz/products/fig/f35092/1.jpg

Verlinden used to have an IDF small arms set, I don't know if it's still available: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/verlinden-productions-35014-israeli-small-arms--1106688
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon made some Israeli paratroopers in their Elite forces series. i think theyre still available

Set had Galils. The ancient Italeri modern weapons had Uzi smg, G3 and FN rifles.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 11:50 PM UTC
Dragon's Modern Machine Gun Set had Negev Light Machine Gun and Galil Automatic Rifle Machine Gun (which according to Wikipedia was the standard combat rifle).
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 02:57 AM UTC
The answer may be "Well, it depends on WHEN you are thinking about IDF small arms..."

IF we are talking the current decade... The IDF has, in the recent - most 10 years, increasingly deployed its native Tavor rifles (what we here in the US generally call the Tavor "SAR" and "TAR", and the newer "X95" versions), along with various generations of the AR / M-16 / M-4 carbines, and the FNMG. So, if modeling near-current IDF, one needs maybe some Tavors (and there are some available) and almost any version of the AR family (save being specific to consider what optics might be included... The IDF guns usually mount various Israeli-made optics.).

Looking further into the past, the Galil, FN-FAL, earlier M-16 types, and the venerable UZI all figured. So modeling 20 - 30 years back, you would want some of those - and as this was before optical sights became common, M-16 and FAL could be from most any "pre-optics" set. I know not about whether there are any Galil or UZI available, but I've not looked for those, so...

Going further back in time, the IDF fielded virtually any firearm it could procure.

Part of the "point" here is that the IDF has always fielded a wider diversity of small-arms then seen in most contemporary modern armies, and earlier versions and types of guns are always being seen - often in mixes with the most-current weapons within operational groups. Older arms persist a long time in IDF use.
So, while the modern Israeli-made Tavor types are increasingly common in issue, one sees them along-side various M-4 types within the same small units in both training and combat ops. So you have a range of options when modeling IDF forces "in action", and the "year" actually can matter as to what your options are!

Just some thoughts on the IDF matter!

Bob
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 06:20 AM UTC
Until the early 2000s, tank crewmen were issued short barreled Galils, AKA 'Glilon'.

It was replaced by the short M16 with ca.10” barrel. No flat tops, but some might have optics (usually officers, like in the bottom picture).
Interestingly, the 14.5" barrel version was tested about a decade earlier by IDF Armored Corps, but proved to be too delicate to be used around tanks. Tank crewmen do not use Tavors, although some other Armored Corps units (recon for example) might be equipped with them.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC
To get a great look at IDF small-arms, one should Google widely across "Israeli Army", various conflicts (Lebanon, Gaza, etc.) and follow leads to different locations, actions, and times. The range of weapons used is nothing short of "wide" over the past 40+ years! And of course, different units and components, such as modern tank crew, current infantry brigades, reservists, etc., actually have sometimes very different equipment and arms.

The least-well represented specific "groups" in photos may be modern tankers and their personal weapons - IDF infantry and related have enjoyed a huge amount of photo-journalism - both friendly and critical.

So, if one wants to model IDF ground forces, pick a unit-type of interest, an action, and a time, and explore it! You'll soon doubtless find that some of the observed weapons are more available then are others for us modelers...

Cheers!
IDFPaul
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Black Dog has a Tavor set: http://www.blackdog.cz/products/fig/f35092/1.jpg

Verlinden used to have an IDF small arms set, I don't know if it's still available: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/verlinden-productions-35014-israeli-small-arms--1106688

Just an fyi, don't kill yourself looking for the verlinden set, as it has been out of production for a long time and was way over scale.

On the other hand if you MUST have one let me know and I'll sell you mine
GuyGos
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 03:43 PM UTC
Actually, those are Colt models 653 and 603 or CAR-15, not short barrel M4s. Some shorter M16s were sawed down by the IDF to make shorter barrels (shorter then the CAR and 603653) and been dubbed 'Sawed' M16s.
I used Trumpeter's XM117. Looks the part to me
OLDDOG78
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 08:02 PM UTC
Italeri make a weapons kit called Modern Infantry Weapons (Italeri #6421) that has Uzi with solid stock, FN-FAL (SLR) ,M16A1 and AK-47. Not very modern but the IDF did use all of the above. There are also FN MAGs on ebay. Hope this helps
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 11:37 AM UTC
Blast Models, Legend Productions, and Trumpeter make some IDF weapons. Trumpeter probably makes the best and cheapest 1/35 M4s and scopes available in plastic.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

… don't kill yourself looking for the verlinden set, as it has been out of production for a long time...

perhaps not for this particular part/ kit, but I believe Lots of Models has either bought Verlinden NOS or the rights to produce.

https://lots-of-models.com/collections/verlinden/land
hazzardm
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 12:03 AM UTC
TANK models of Russia make gorgeous UZIs and Galils in 1/35

MJH
 _GOTOTOP