Hosted by Darren Baker
Restored Vehicle Query ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 09:58 AM UTC
No doubt the answer is simple, but I was wondering why restored military vehicles often display two totally different registration plates. This was something I hadn't noticed until I came across photographs of restored post-war RAF vehicles exhibited at various Classic Vehicle shows around the UK.
frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC
One is the old military plate issued to the vehicle, the other is the registration given by DVLA on release from service to drive on the roads with tax payed once registered with them.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 08:37 AM UTC
Many thanks for that ... just as I thought, but needed to confirm.
Presumably, without the DVLA-valid plates, the vehicle would have to be carried to a show on a transporter or suitable trailer.

Paul
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 08:47 AM UTC
Exactly, which is why most private owners of MBTs leave them on military serials.

I have seen examples of civilian plates with six characters where the spacing has been rearranged from 3-3 to look like the 2-2-2 format of ERMs but that is, as I understand it, illegal and renders you prone to being stopped by Plod.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2019 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen examples of civilian plates with six characters where the spacing has been rearranged from 3-3 to look like the 2-2-2 format of ERMs but that is, as I understand it, illegal and renders you prone to being stopped by Plod.

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP