_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
oven fans
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Is it safe tp paint on the oven with teh overhead fan going full blast? I just thought that it's a built in spray booth in my home. I would put a box on top to protect from over spray. What are your experiences
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
Let me get this straight....You have an oven, open the door, switch the fan to afterburner mode, put in some cardboard and then start painting delicious chemical goodies.....

Next morning you wake up...the misses asks what you want for breakfast and you tell her......hmmm darling, I'd like some home made bread today.....

Is this the oven thing ?

Sure you can spray paint in it, but so much for the backing function of the oven.....

I don't think this solution is being appreciated by the other people in the house.... But hey..I might be wrong again here...

May be, after the spraying, you could turn on the heater too.....Then the paint dries faster.... #:-) #:-) #:-)

You'll be the first Faster Master of complete Disaster.. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL................................................. #:-)

DAMN Eagle! I didn't know your Uncle was Jerry Lewis!?!

Uohhhhhh......my sides hurt...........jeez.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC
Does Jim have a basic modeliing Safety FAQ page?

No?........Then maybe Jim should think about posting one......

Yes?.......Then maybe Jim should think about including the 'oven' thingie.......

Otherwise some of our membership might wind up sleeping with the Angels

Just a thought.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
The question should be will the misses like for you to do that in HER kitchen? NOT!!! Mine would kill me. It would be alot easier and less painfull if you just built yourself a spray booth.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it safe tp paint on the oven with teh overhead fan going full blast? I just thought that it's a built in spray booth in my home. I would put a box on top to protect from over spray. What are your experiences

Oh yes! I forgot one thing to write in my posting..........................Can we say DIVORCE! Come on now lets not be dumb about this.
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
Ha Ha !!! But i still would like to know. I was talking about exhaust fans on top of the oven not IN the oven. They use the same principle as the spray booth it takes vapours and odours away. Is this safe to use when airbrushing in a box?
M4Nut
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
It might be possible to use an oven fan as an exhaust fan but the big question is, is your oven gas or electric? If it is gas, forget it. If you use anything other than water base paints you have a very bad situation. Even if you mainly use water base but occasionally use enamels then I would also forget it, the chance of changing your habits could cause problems.
Eric
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC
I think the main problem with this idea is you would be mixing up non-edible items with edible. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Theoretically you could taste the savor of yesterday's panzar grey in today's pasta...because the condensation dropped back into the boiling pot of pasta with residue of the paint.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 08:08 AM UTC
Take a look in the FEATURES / SECTIONS link, and click on DIGITAL DIAMONDS... one of my articles (#3?) tells how to make your own Spray Booth for under $30. Works very well - it's all I used for several years. Since then, I ordered a commercial unit through HARBOR FREIGHT.COM which only cost about $80 with extra filters and shipping.(do a search for SPRAY CABINET to find it... NOT spray booth like you might think!),

The first unit was KIA in about 1 week of light use, but they sent a replacement unit that works just great. All metal cabinet, good motor with viewing port, and very quiet. I use it all the time now... not that it works any better than the original design discussed in the article. Let me know if you have questions. - Keith
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They use the same principle as the spray booth it takes vapours and odours away

Sorry, but they take nothing away.....they just move it to onother location....thats is some difference. For taking things away you need a finepartsfilter in comination with a carbonfilter.

Moving particles can be good enought though, as long as you move them straight out your house, otherwise a fan doesnt help. It only bothers more people with the enjoyment of your hobby.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
If you're like me, you'll just have to do your airbrushing outside or in the garage, I guess. I thought about your idea once, but then decided Mom wouldn't be too happy.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP