Hosted by Darren Baker
How-to sculpt large scale trees
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 04:09 PM UTC
I'm bringing out an old kit that I was working on a couple of years ago.
Now that I have finished the figure,I need to figure out how to sculpt the trees for my vignette.The scale I'm working on is 1/8th scale,so with this in mind does anyone know of any tutorials that show how to sculpt trees of this scale?
Any info on how to do this would be appreciated.
Thank you.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hiya Jody , deciduous or evergreen ? Best bet is to surf Youtube for tutes on crafting mini trees . What you're looking for is the process , scale shouldn't matter you'll just be using bigger materials .
You could also find a real small dead tree branch in the wild with a shape and branch structure that suits your need and work off of that . Using the real deal would eliminate the need to create credible bark . Google preserved leaf sprays and bundles , there's lots of craft stores that sell them and they're not expensive . These can be used to flesh out the real dead tree branch your using .

Sesame bloom spray . Used for a 1/35th scale-ish tree .

Sesame bloom branches applied to a dried out Juniper root .

I chose material for 1/35th scale-ish trees but there are many larger preserved dried leaf sprays you can use foe your scale .

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 01:55 AM UTC
You can also make trees out of twisted wire bundles,covered in putty or plaster. The twig area is made from steel wool,pulled out and stretched. The whole thing is spray painted and then using hairspray as a fixative covered in model railroad foliage flocking material. The advantage is nothing natural is used so it will not deteriorate.
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 09:05 AM UTC
You could also buy an inexpensive Bonsai from Costco when they have them. Wait for it to die (which won't be long!) and add commercial foliage.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 09:42 AM UTC
Jody:
Do really mean 1/8 scale or is that a typo? A 24 foot high tree would be 3 feet in 1/8 scale. Have you thought of uprooting a bush and using that as the basis for the tree? Just a thought.

Cheyenne:
From your photo it looks like you've got some good experience building trees. Have you ever thought of posting a tutorial and sharing your expertise? Just a thought.

Take care,
Don "Lakota"
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thanks Don , don't wanna sidetrack Jody's post but I pretty much cover it in my Burma blog , apologies Jody .
Lakota
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Don , don't wanna sidetrack Jody's post but I pretty much cover it in my Burma blog , apologies Jody .

@Cheyenne-no apologies necessary, I'll just look for your Burma blog. Thanks!
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 12:07 PM UTC
Don,
Yes I meant 1/8th,but I'm not going to build the entire tree, just the major trunk area. My predator is about 11 inches tall so I'm thinking that the tree portion will be approximately 15 inches tall.
I wanted him to be standing next to the tree in the jungle. So that is why I wanted to know about scratch building large scale tree.
I hope this makes you understand what I'm trying to do.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC
where is your burma blog?
Lakota
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don,
Yes I meant 1/8th,but I'm not going to build the entire tree, just the major trunk area. My predator is about 11 inches tall so I'm thinking that the tree portion will be approximately 15 inches tall.
I wanted him to be standing next to the tree in the jungle. So that is why I wanted to know about scratch building large scale tree.
I hope this makes you understand what I'm trying to do.

Sounds like a cool project. Please keep us up to date.
Thank you,
Don "Lakota"
 _GOTOTOP