_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need Help - Which Panzers fought KV-2
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 05:20 PM UTC
Hello everyone!

I have a quick question that I suspect a few of you can help me with. I am planning a diorama with a disabled/abandoned KV-2 and I want to add at least one german armored vehicle to the dio in some capacity. My question is, which versions of either the Panzer III, Panzer IV or the Stug III would have been in Russia at the same time as the KV-2? I am frankly leaning toward a Panzer III or a Stug III if that helps. Also, I assume that which ever vehicle I choose, Panzer Gray is the correct color.

Thanks for the help
Mike
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone!

I have a quick question that I suspect a few of you can help me with. I am planning a diorama with a disabled/abandoned KV-2 and I want to add at least one german armored vehicle to the dio in some capacity. My question is, which versions of either the Panzer III, Panzer IV or the Stug III would have been in Russia at the same time as the KV-2? I am frankly leaning toward a Panzer III or a Stug III if that helps. Also, I assume that which ever vehicle I choose, Panzer Gray is the correct color.

Thanks for the help
Mike

The KV-2 was used only in the first months of the invasion in 1941, which gives you a narrow window to work in. Panzer III Ausf. G, H or early J would work (all with short 50mm gun and turret stowage box), or Panzer IV Ausf. D or E with appliqué armor and turret stowage box, or early Panzer IV Ausf. F1 (probably with solid engine deck). Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. B were common in 1941, though the C and D models were also appearing, often in the same units. The Germans also had Czech Panzer 35(t) and Panzer 38(t) light tanks.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 06:17 PM UTC
Most of the photos of the KV-2 I saw were dated spring and summer of 41. Look up the paint schemes for panzers in late spring of 41 (Panzer gray).

The KV-2 production ended in 41 when the tank factory was moved to the east. There were only a couple hundred made before the factory moved.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC
The standard Panzer color at that time was RAL7021 Dunkelgrau
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 09:43 PM UTC
More dio options :

H.P.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it.

Great pictures Henri! As always your vast collection of reference material is astounding!

Mike
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
You're welcome Mike, but my archive is not that big... I just try to make good use of Google image search

H.P.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 11:37 AM UTC
There's one KV-2 with the 12th Pz Div insignia painted on it, so they encountered one.

They would have both Pz III and IV. Probably Pz III Ausf G and H, and Pz IV Ausf D and E.
These would have been overall dark grey.

They also played an important role in the Baltic fighting. German units there, were 1, 6 and 8 Pz Div.
Stowage for Barbarossa was unit specific, so check your references.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 04:54 PM UTC
And, there was at least which made it back to Germany, too. Used as static pillboxes somewhere.

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 10:49 PM UTC
Kylie,
That one was used to defend the Krupp steel works in Essen from US troops. It had no fenders left by then. Might be an interesting model, with GI's climbing all over it.

There's also one that kept up the advance of 6 Pz Div for three days during Barbarossa.
Here's a nice collection of KV-2 pics:
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/ussr/tanks-2/kv-2/
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 06:49 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Decided to go with a Panzer III J Initial. One other quick question, would the panzer III's in Russia have the canvas cover on the barrel or was that a DAK specific feature? I've done some google searches and can't seem to find its use in Russia.

Thanks
Mike
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. Decided to go with a Panzer III J Initial. One other quick question, would the panzer III's in Russia have the canvas cover on the barrel or was that a DAK specific feature? I've done some google searches and can't seem to find its use in Russia.

Thanks
Mike

Canvas muzzle caps were seen everywhere, to keep the bore clean, and they could be shot through, if there wasn't time to remove them. However, I've never seen the canvas shroud covering the barrel slide area on a vehicle serving in Russia (but then again, I wasn't watching for them).

Vehicles built for service in Africa were sometimes diverted to the Eastern front at short notice (still in their tropical colors). Fifth Panzer Division got some "African" Panzer IIIs and IVs, but that was after the 1941 time frame you're looking for..
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 10:05 AM UTC
Yeah - I was talking about the shroud at the base of the barrel. You've pretty much confirmed what I have found.

Thanks again!
Mike
 _GOTOTOP