_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The M8 And M20
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 02:51 PM UTC
I'm rather surprised nobody has come up with new kits for the M8 and M20 armored cars by now. The Tamiya kits are passable but do have issues.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 03:46 PM UTC
I'll second that. You'd think a detail oriented company like Bronco would have jumped at this.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm rather surprised nobody has come up with new kits for the M8 and M20 armored cars by now. The Tamiya kits are passable but do have issues.

What's wrong with them, other than being the typical Tamiya sort of detail?

KL
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Missing certain items, but most importantly, you cannot prop the front visors open without a lot of scratch building...and most photographs of these vehicles I've seen have the visors open.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Missing certain items, but most importantly, you cannot prop the front visors open without a lot of scratch building...and most photographs of these vehicles I've seen have the visors open.

We can use ALL-NEW M8 and M20 Armored Cars, just like we can use ALL-NEW M18s, M10s, M8 HMCs, CCKW352s and -353s, and the list goes on and on. But we won't get them, because most of the manufacturers think that all we want is Tigers and Panthers... Conversely, in the realm of 1/48 aircraft, EDUARD makes over a DOZEN different Bf.109Gs. THAT is overkill with a vengeance.

You all know that the above blathering is true, so why even bother bringing up questions about "why haven't the model manufacturers made a WWII US or British this or that"..? Any mention of "other than Panther or Tiger wishes" are going to fall on deaf ears as far as the model manufacturers are concerned, and the "Panzer-Mafia" on this site will proceed to shoot you down every single blindey-fluking time you open your mouth about something different than what THEY are interested in. The model manufacturers will continue to crank out their endless Panthers, Tigers and SS Panther Crews & MG-42 Teams no matter WHAT ELSE modelers may wish for...
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:13 PM UTC
AFV Club, Bronco, Tiger Models, Vulcan are companies I could see an M8 and/or M20 coming from. AFV Club might be busy exploiting the M60 and M113 but you never know. It's certainly up Bronco's alley. I hope not Tiger Models as I'd like to see them stick to French stuff (come on Panhard M3!). Vulcan likes small stuff so M8/M20 might be too big!

And then there's MiniArt!

As for Tamiya, they probably think "We just did those!". But you never know. I think they use a dart or Ouija board to decide what to do next. "The Spirits say Panzer III, no, no, it's Atomic Cannon!"
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 - 10:21 PM UTC
We should be grateful we ever got a state of the art kit ever, after suffering through decades and decades of the old Tamiya motorized toy, the Monogram 1/32 kits or the Revell/Snap/Life-like 1/40 M20.

I've built both the newer Tamiya and the Italeri and they are about even in quality if approached without any prejudice on their own merits. The Italeri even has an under fender support Tamiya missed so you really can't do the Tamiya without the fenders.

But we know armored cars are underserved in 1/35 all over. Before I cry for a "new" anything I'd like to see all the armored cars done for a first time.

Where's the Daimler armored car? Huh? Tamiya did it in 1/48 but not 1/35?

Bandai and Hasegawa did it in 1/48 and 1/72 back in the 1970s, but nothing since. AEC, Humber,Staghounds but no Daimler.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We should be grateful we ever got a state of the art kit ever, after suffering through decades and decades of the old Tamiya motorized toy, the Monogram 1/32 kits or the Revell/Snap/Life-like 1/40 M20.

I've built both the newer Tamiya and the Italeri and they are about even in quality if approached without any prejudice on their own merits. The Italeri even has an under fender support Tamiya missed so you really can't do the Tamiya without the fenders.

But we know armored cars are underserved in 1/35 all over. Before I cry for a "new" anything I'd like to see all the armored cars done for a first time.

Where's the Daimler armored car? Huh? Tamiya did it in 1/48 but not 1/35?

Bandai and Hasegawa did it in 1/48 and 1/72 back in the 1970s, but nothing since. AEC, Humber,Staghounds but no Daimler.

Which is ironic because so many people used armored cars well after WW2. And nowadays wheeled armored cars have become very prevalent in warfare.
 _GOTOTOP