_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55C driver training (CMK conversion)
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi I have been looking at the CMK T-55C driver training/haulage version. I can't find out much about the actual vehicle. I assume this is a Czech version if so what do I need to convert a tamiya T-55a to a czech version?

kaleu
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 - 05:01 AM UTC
I've got this conversion in the stash, so I'll be watching this thread for more details.
I think the obvious change would be to convert the engine deck to a Czech version. This can either be scratch built or using the Blast Models T-55 update set (not sure if it is still available.) IIRC, the Takom T-55a kit has a spare Czech engine deck which is a near perfect fit for the Tamiya kit.
I'd also recommend plumbing the fuel tanks.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 05:48 AM UTC
Unless the Tamiya T-55A hull is really different in dimensions from that of the Takom T-55A... I would do the surgery on the Takom kit directly. That way, you'll get more detail all over, you'll already have the Czech deck-piece on hand, you'll get nice link tracks, you'll get much better road-wheels (Tamiya's are actually sort of "inverted", in that the tire ribs are molded as grooves instead of proud-standing ribs, as on the real tires. Of course, you can always sand down the Takom ribs - your CHOICE. But you really MUST fill those Tamiya grooves...). The Takom kit is much nicer in oh so many ways, IMHO.

Of course, if you have the Takom kit AND you are building it as a T-55A version other than Czech... you have that deck piece to swap to other hull.

Just a thought!

Bob
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 07:57 AM UTC
I don't have helpful information to offer but I'll be watching this build. I built the SKIF FAVORIT T-55C2 version kit straight out of box.

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi;

The CMK version's were not much more than just the odd looking turret; I built two different versions, one with the BTU Dozer Blade and the other was with A KMT-4 Mine Rake.
Both were made with Tamiya T-55s and were based on vehicles used by the U.N. in Bosnia after the conflict !

CHEERS; MIKE.
 _GOTOTOP