_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sherman Interiors
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:47 AM UTC
One of the kits I am working on right now is Italeri's M4A1. I've built it with the turret hatches open. Wow you can really see that there is nothing inside. I know that there are manufactures who make interiors, but who's should I use. I don't plan on using them on this kit because I'll have figures and you can't see the interior away. But I've enjoyed this kit and I want to do another maybe in a diorama.

Ron Cimorelli

PS This site has been a big help to someone who knows squat about armor models. :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
I know that Panzer Concepts, The Tank Workshop, and Verlinden Productions all make or made interiors for the M4. Whether they are all still available I do not know. I'll do some looking around and see if any got better reviews than others.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
Ron,

Verlinden's interiors are pretty good and easy to work with. You might want to consider their early and late M4 interiors for a future model.

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:30 PM UTC
I'm eyeballing the M4 Early interior set. I also want to crack open my old M5 light tank and stick the Verlinden set inside it too. But I have too much on my plate as it is.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks guys, like always you have been a big help to a novice. That's afew kits down the road anyway before I tackle an interior. Working on two kits right now have a third on the way and the wife has me remodeling the bathroom. Believe me the model kits are way more fun than the bathroom remodel and less money too.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
I work exclusively with VLS interiors. The Sherman interiors are super and easy to access
once you place the turret on the kit. Currently, I am working with the M-8 HMC interior. It
really enhances the model. I want to complete another M-10 (one of my favorite model types)
The interior for that baby comes from HobbyFan. Let you know how that turns out. I also
have the update for the M-5 exterior. Nice looking. Does anyone have experience placing the waders on the rear of the Sherman?
Thanks
DJ
p7
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
Perhaps by referencing from pictures on the internet and some excellent books that around, you could, scratchbuild..... I think it would give you an immense sense of satisfaction
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I work exclusively with VLS interiors. The Sherman interiors are super and easy to access
once you place the turret on the kit. Currently, I am working with the M-8 HMC interior. It
really enhances the model. I want to complete another M-10 (one of my favorite model types)
The interior for that baby comes from HobbyFan. Let you know how that turns out. I also
have the update for the M-5 exterior. Nice looking. Does anyone have experience placing the waders on the rear of the Sherman?
Thanks
DJ

Hey DJ - me too! I've got the M8 HMC interior going on. I'm incorporating VP's M5 engines and compartment too - that has been some fun, those twin Cadillac engines are beautiful castings. Both sets really juice-up the old Tamiya kit.

I didn't use the HobbyFan interior for my M10 Tank Destroyer - thought it was way too expensive in comparison with the Legend Productions interior. I used that one instead. I'd love to hear what you thought about the HobbyFan parts when you get done.

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:26 AM UTC
What are waders?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are waders?

The wading gear that attaches to the exhaust and air intake for tanks. Allows the vehicle to operate with its lower hull almost completely submerged without stalling out the engine. The new USMC M4 comes with a set.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:38 AM UTC
Okay I thought that's what they were, but I thought that they were called trunks. I also remember seeing a canvas thing that went around tanks and thought maybe that was a wadder. I also remember reading that the canvas device didn't work well, and most tanks swamped during D-day.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Amigo--the canvas siding for the M-4 was a limited production British inspired design known as the Duplex Drive Sherman. DD Shermans were scheduled to land with the assault troops by wading ashore with the canvas skirt extended. Once ashore, the canvas would go down and the main gun would be ready to support the landing troops. This is the theory. They placed a shaft extension from the PTO to two propellors on the rear of the vehicle to push it towards the beach. We used the same (dumb, in my professional opinion) thing on the M-551 Sheridan and the Bradley. Down sides that shreds the theory includes a wave height that causes water to come over the skirt and the puncturing of the screen which causes a nasty leak. Tanks do not do well when it comes to floating. For the invasion of Normandy, we employed them on Omaha Beach. Bloody disaster. They were launched too far from shore in too high a surf. As I recall, we lost everyone launched. The Brits on Gold and Juno and the Canadians on Sword faired better. Zaloga has a book in the Combat Series available through the Military Book Club entitled "D-Day Tanks." It contains one of the best colored plates I have ever seen of the DD. The Modeling Brothers and I recently discussed the Wow! factor that such a model would cause...."create it and we will buy it."
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
DJ, here, here...one of those M4's in history that many would like to forget (God bless those lost) , but I whole heartedly agree, that if produced, we would buy...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
19K--would that not be one of the coolest models ever conceived by the devious minds of money grubbing model companies?
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
One thing they fail to "capitalize" on, is the power of "heart -strings". Yes, I could imagine the sell outs of such a kit! If only such a kit would be produced!!! It goes along with the "gone but not forgotten" themes.
I personally would not like to spin a profit on those lost, but such a particular kit would represent a "bold" act by us Americans! And such a replica would and could be used to for our collecions, for not only,"all versions" but also as a reminder of what we were willing to do and try in an effort to stem the German tide!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
19K---one can only hope that some enterprising firm takes up the challenge. I do not believe that it would require a massive effort to replicate the braces and canvas. Tissue would not do. Probably you would have to make the braces out of brass or thick plastic tubes and the screen out of a thick paper like material. The addition of the two propellors to the rear on the basic Sherman should do the trick. Thought provoking...
DJ
 _GOTOTOP