_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How do you join vinyl/rubber tracks?
the_unborn
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:01 AM UTC
Well, do you use glue or do you melt the joining pins with something hot?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
If there are melting posts, I use them. Some tracks are now designed to accept glues. In either case. I'll usually secure the joint with superglue.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
Usually a dab of gel type superglue and a staple on the side that will be towards the hull, ie. hidden by the teeth. I gave up heat sealing the joints when a very soft track decided to break when stretched onto the model.
thenoblehaus
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
If they're the newer glue tracks, then Testors liquid glue. If they're the ones that are impervious to glue I use a old flat head nail with the point end pressed into a wooden dowel piece for a handle. I heat it up above a candle and then quickly and deliberately press the pin head down as to form a rivet head and remove.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
I sometimes use clear nylon fishing line to tie them together. Then I apply superglue to the knot to hold it. When painted the line is all but invisable and can be easily hodden. It is the only way I have to use fishing line as most fish are smarter than I am.

Chuck
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:56 PM UTC
I usually just use superglue and then clamp them together for a few hours until I'm sure it's stuck really well. I tried melting the little connecting nub, but it never seems to hold as well.
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
On my last two models, the vinyl tracks were too long, so I cut a few links out and attached the ends together using wire form a Friulmodel metal track set. Just pull the wire through until it's tight, then twist it and put some superglue on it to secure it.

Luckily both models had fenders that I could hide this behind.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:52 AM UTC
I always flatten the pins with heat AND put a staple through. I try to make sure the staple is hidden among the wheels, fenders or whatever after painting the staple to match the track color
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
On the old ESCI vinyl trax, I used the melted pin method that I used on all vinyl trax. If that didn't work due to pins being too small, then vinyl swimming pool patch cement always did the trick.
The trax would hold, but the tiny axles would usually break putting the trax on!
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:40 AM UTC
Hi, I use the heated nail method, then I always sew the tracks as well. This way there's no nasty surprises such as seperating tracks a week after you think you've finished.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC
I have had to just staple them. But I never thought of sewing them together. I will have to try that next.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP