_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer Markings
Kar98K
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
I want to paint and put ny decals on my Panther Ausf A by Tamiya. I want to use the Death's Head deacal. Does anyone have pictures of the color and markings for this. Thanks
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
The Totenkoft Panthers were painted base dark yellow and had a very heavy over-spray of both dark green and red-brown..If you have the squadron Panzer Colors books you can see a picture of two of them on a wide road in some city on the eastern front .

Rick
Kar98K
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:06 PM UTC
The kit comes with the death's head marking but doesn't tell me the tank number or what camo and i want to use the death's head marking.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
I agree that you should use the yellow base with red-brown and green oversprays. I would suggest you use just the basic patterns you can find in the Squadron books and not the ambush schemes. For the numbers , I cannot be positive but the color plates of armor I saw for the 2nd SS, 1st SS and 12th SS all show black numerals with a white outline.I have not been able to find a color shot of the 3rd SS "Totenkopf" division. One thing you may find interesting is the numbering system the Germans used on their tanks. The first # identifies the company the vehicle belongs to. The second # shows the platoon. The third # indicates the vehicle # within the platoon. So... tank #111 is the 1st tank of the 1st platoon of the 1st company. A zero for a middle # indicates the company command vehicle. #201 would be the 2nd companies command tank. Hope I was some help.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
One last bit to add... I have noted that some of the panthers (along with other tanks) do not have the ID #'s and or Iron Crosses on them. You may be completely accurate to leave all the markings or just the numerals off and give the paint a well worn weather.
Jerm
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 11:15 AM UTC
From Pics i have seen, Iron crosses were only put on if the whole crew was awarded or in memory of a fallen comerade. As for the death head, from all the pictures i have seen on panthers, the symbol was usually white
Good Luck
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
I think the 'Iron Cross' 19k is referring to is the Balkenkruez national symbol painted on most German vehicles. A smaller Maltese, or Iron, Cross was painted on a vehicle (usually the front) as a commemeration of an award or a crewman's death.
Kar98K
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm this site might shed some light on the cross.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
Biggles2 is correct, I was refering to the national symbols. I should have been more clear. Since I have never seen the award decorations I'm happy to say I learned something new today!
 _GOTOTOP