Hosted by Darren Baker
I need some help
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
I have hit a brick wall so to speak with my eastern euro dio. I am very pleased with the way its coming together but I dont know what ground cover I should use for the front slope. I already have the conifer trees and put needles under them and I am planning on Ivy to climb the fence, but I dont know what else to do. I have all kinds of woodland scenics stuff here like lichen both natural and autumn mix. Alos have late and early fall foilage, even some dried moss that resembles tumble weeds but it just doesnt seem to look right.Any one have any suggestions? Should i just leave it bare and clump some tall grasses? thanks in advance. Cheers Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
I think between the buildings could be pare or have some scraggly scrubs at the edge of the building. Either some short weedy grassy stuff or some lichen based scrubs.
I'd opt for some tall grass clumbs placed around the dio.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:36 PM UTC
Thanks Scott, your help has paid off once again I do beleive, as far as the rear of the dio goes I believe my ground work is done accept for maybe a wash, can you wash static grass? I have posted another pic in the eastern euro dio update post on here to show what I have done today with it. Still having trouble figuring out the front side but i think I will add the Ivy and go from there. Cheers Kevin
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
You can also try spreading around some Italian spices here and there. The stuff looks pretty much non descript when scattered about. It adds a look of tree leafs and other debris but dosen't really stand out.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 05:16 PM UTC
I think your diorama looks really good. Perhaps you may want to make the grass next to the yard walls a little taller and weedier (if that's a word). It might add a little more realism , after all I know I have trouble keeping my grass short next to my fence . Since the dioramas in a war zone doubt if that green space has been maintained much at all.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Kevin, I have replied in the otehr thread, with the pictures!
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
Jackhammer,

The wooden planks on your buildings look really aged. Great stuff. I'm no expert but here my 2 cents worth. Where you get pine trees you normally don't get too much undergrowth as the chemical in pine needles suppress growth of most grasses.

How about the some old tires thrown out by the farmer or some fallen and rotting logs instead. A chicken or two by the road side might spice up the forward slope or even a roadkill (hehheh). I notice you've made a nice fence at the forefront. How about allowing one or two of the logs get detached and sought of fallen partially due to neglect. A fallen bucket near the barn entrance would be interesting.

I better stop or I will ramble on with impossible to do ideas. Hope it helps.
 _GOTOTOP