Hosted by Darren Baker
JGSDF Intel
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 - 06:52 PM UTC
I'm on a JGSDF kick. Are there any reference sources out there that are in English and don't cost an EU country's GDP? Have seen the Tankograd book. Great for general info on new stuff, but.... I'm looking for unit markings (and time frames) , "translation of ID numbers, (I thought the first two digits were type, but seems Type 90, Type 10, and Type 16 use 95-**** numbers) and changes in organization and equipment from 54 on up. Found one web site , but it was pretty basic. A quick and (hopefully) simple question. When did the Green / Brown camo come in?
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi, sorry but i think the level of info you are looking for isn't available in anything other than japanese.
I have a few but they are all in japanese. Just have to try and work stuff out from the pics.

regards jason
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 05:02 AM UTC
One good reference on organization and current equipment will be the Ministry of Defense's annual white paper titled "Defense of Japan". It's available in English on the MOD website--just google it. I think you can also access previous year's editions (although not too far back) if you have a specific year in mind.

You can also find a lot of good gouge on the JGSDF website, which has an English language version.

Neither of those is going to have everything you're looking for, but it will give you a good start. From there, it just comes down to good internet data mining skills.

BTW, I spent a total of 14 years in Japan, most of which was spent doing bilateral planning and coordination with the JSDF--mostly JASDF and JMSDF, but with JGSDF as well. I'm sure I can help you with specific questions like translating markings, etc. Feel free to PM me any time.

Good luck!

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 05:31 AM UTC
It's in Japanese but some titles are in English like unit names. This was published in 2006. The Type 10 MBT was not in service then. Shows unit badges and deployments for that time period.

https://hlj.com/jgsdf-armored-force-vehicles-insignias-op-mdg22914

This is from the Camouflage & Markings section.

This is from the Deployments section.

_GOTOTOP