Hosted by Darren Baker
How to make scorched earth
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 04:03 AM UTC
I am in the process of building my landscape for my "Death Dealer" vignette. I would like to put the figure in a scorched earth setting. So I would like to know how does one produce the scorched earth effect?
Thank you
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 - 11:34 PM UTC
Elbowing my way thru the crowd to answer your question…probably the easiest/cheapest is kids’ black powder-paint applied (dry) with a smallish bristle brush. Earth also scorches orangey-browns so if you bought some yellow & red too you can mix ‘em in situ to get every shade imaginable. With a light/distant flat varnish spray to fix it
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 - 03:37 AM UTC
Are you wanting to show something like the aftermath of those recent California wildfires? Since you said vignette, I'm guessing the size of your scene will be on the smallish side. So what Tim mentioned would work, as would chalk or pigments. If you have any structures, like a wall or building corner, etc., the same materials & methods should work. Now comes the risky(crazy??) idea. A few years back, I made a small dio in which I wanted to have a partially burned out barn/shed where the roof had sustained the most damage. Using wall parts from an old ceramic kit, I attached balsa wood beams & scratch-built shingles. Then using one of those candle/fireplace butane lighters, I carefully "scorched" portions of the beams/shingles till I got the look I wanted. I've used small pieces of burned balsa or basswood at other times as well. In some instances, actual burned wood adds more realism, at least to my eyes.
 _GOTOTOP