_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
BP42/BP44 Second Tender?
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 10:53 PM UTC
Not being a train guy, I have basic question about the typical second tender used on BP42/44 armored trains.

From what I can see, the normal tender is directly connected to the rear of the locomotive using some slit type three pronged center piece only (in models at least; is this accurate?)

So without having a 3-link coupling or buffers on that end, how does the typical second tender connect when carried singularly in front of the locomotive? Or are there provisions on that end of the tender to install the usual coupler and buffers in place of that prong connection?

thanks
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not being a train guy, I have basic question about the typical second tender used on BP42/44 armored trains.

From what I can see, the normal tender is directly connected to the rear of the locomotive using some slit type three pronged center piece only (in models at least; is this accurate?)

So without having a 3-link coupling or buffers on that end, how does the typical second tender connect when carried singularly in front of the locomotive? Or are there provisions on that end of the tender to install the usual coupler and buffers in place of that prong connection?

thanks

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BC7J27PCJ/1-160-br-57-armored-loco-2-tenders-for-bp-42?li=search-results-6&optionId=10359532

Hopefully this helps with the visual, are you building a 1/35 kit or something ?
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 07:14 AM UTC
Here in the states, tenders for steam locomotives were connected by a single drawbar 8 inches thick with a width of 12 inches ND a length of 3 feet.
Cheers
Charlie
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 10:03 PM UTC
The Shapeways one shows what I was assuming, that that open end would have to have coupler and buffers on it when used as a second tender. Must be normally a similar drawbar method Charles mentions (that the kit does represent). Guess I'm back to my original confusion, presumably then there are provisions to mount a coupler and buffers (and the accompanying armored flaps). I'll go with that.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC
Auxillary tenders generally just have a normal coupler and buffer arrangement on both ends. However this rather unusual semipermanent front tender might have a solid drawbar arrangement similar to that used in connecting the rear tender.

Additionally because of this two tender arrangement the rear tender may have absolutely no provision for carrying water at all. The forward tender clearly is dedicated to carrying only water and the rear tender may be dedicated completely to carrying fuel only.
 _GOTOTOP