Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
American Ninja Warrior
Anonymous
KitMaker: 260 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 04:39 PM UTC
Help!! Have a lead on a dirt cheap (have you SEEN the price of real estate these days?) Testors M24. What ,if any, mods did the JGSDF Chaffees have. Near as I can tell they were stock US with new paint. Old Italeri / Testors kits have the correct rubber pad treads. The Bronco and AFV Club kits are nicer and have a JGSDF version but are 5 times as much. I've found little on line, and this is time sensitive. (Need to decide on the Testors kit by Sunday PM)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 06:57 PM UTC
Here are some walkaround pics of a JGSDF M24 :

https://ejectorpin.exblog.jp/26139491/

On this one, the infantry phone (or what look like one) is still fitted and the tracks are the WW2-style ones :

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/okura12/33809053.html

A few period pics :

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 08:51 PM UTC
I aasume that you are aware that the old Italeri tracks are awful. I would be looking at aftermarket tracks for that old Italeri/Testors kit and then it might not be quite so cheap anymore ....

/ Robin
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 06:00 PM UTC
Frenchy, how do you find all these . I spend hours on line looking and find squat. Then you send whole bunches. Good thing you do not live in Salem, Mass. They'd be burning you at the stake as a witch! Of what you posted, only one I found was Tank 202. The walk around with the steel treads, I suspect who ever is displaying it found them cheap. The period photos all show the rubber pads. Looks like the Japanese ones were stock US. One question I had was the storage rack on the rear. Looks like the mesh basket is an anomaly. Fold down shelf the norm. The info on the Bronco kit implies that was a ARVN mod.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 06:18 PM UTC
I did figure the tracks were suspect, but I have had some success with cludge tracks. A layer of mud covers a multitude of sins. Kinda moot . One I was eyeing got into a bidding fight. Looks like AFV Club JGSDF one or Bronco post war. Any thoughts on which one? (or maybe the French on if it is close.)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 07:32 PM UTC
Are you talking me into posting more pics Timothy ?

This one is fitted with four Type 64 anti-tank missile pods :

Two .50's are better than one

Full size

H.P.

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 09:06 PM UTC
Ooooh! Like the one with the 4 ATGMs. I've seen them mounted in pairs on the Type 60 APC and jeeps (for the airborne troops?). Did some Japanese designer have an AMX 13 fetish? Other interesting one is the one with the M2 on the roof mount AND a spare on the rack on the side of the turret. I noticed in one photo the tank had the mesh storage basket. Most ww2 photos show the fold down shelf. Is the basket a Military Assistance thing?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
Hasegawa has released a JGSDF combo set that includes tank #305. Looks like the big turret number should be yellow :

Maybe the wire mesh basket is a local add-on ?

More parade pics :

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP