_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to make HMMWV foil windows?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 06:46 PM UTC
Has anyone here an idea how to make the plastic foil windows on M998 soft top HMMWV? The parts provided by Italeri and Academy are way too thick.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 07:04 PM UTC
I'm not sure what "foil windows" means, but if you are trying to make a thinner "glass" window, or a scaled-down soft window, there are a couple of pretty decent routes that I've used...

One is to use the kit window piece as a master and cut a thinner replacement from some thin, clear plastic food or other container. Some of these little food containers and such have plastic which is only a few 1/1000 inch thick. It will be a nice, rigid plastic window which will have usually good clarity and a much better thin appearance. Use white glue or other non-solvent glue to fix the "glass" in the frame as desired. Solvent cements will fog and scar most of these clear container plastics.

IF you want to make a thinner clear window - AND that window glass will be fully-framed... You can get a very thin clear window by stretching clear wrap (Saran-wrap or other food-wrap) across the frame and gluing it with white glue.

Hope this addresses your question!

Bob
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 07:25 PM UTC
I guess this is the type of window H.H. is talking about :

H.P.
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 08:44 PM UTC
clear packaging from the supermarket. my first choice would be the fold-up box in the bakery. next anything in the cosmetic aisle with clear window to see the product.

I know this is all very localized and have no understanding on you areas retail packaging.

another idea may be a report folder from the stationary store: https://www.amazon.com/Bilipala-Counting-Plastic-Sliding-Organizer/dp/B01KPW39PU
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 09:05 PM UTC
Thanks! The question is how to glue it without damaging it?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 09:15 PM UTC
The little sheet of plastic in ordinary window envelopes (Fensterbriefumschlag).
Just wait for the next official letter or invoice.
Some have a slightly frosted appearance and others are completely clear. I glue these with solvent "glue" for styrene.
Use the smallest brush and capillary action to apply a minimal amount of solvent to the joint.
The window can be pre-crinkled to get the correct appearance.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The little sheet of plastic in ordinary window envelopes (Fensterbriefumschlag).
Just wait for the next official letter or invoice.
Some have a slightly frosted appearance and others are completely clear. I glue these with solvent "glue" for styrene.
Use the smallest brush and capillary action to apply a minimal amount of solvent to the joint.
The window can be pre-crinkled to get the correct appearance.

Or you can use future/paint to “glue” it in place.
I don’t recall many clear windows on any Marine humvee I drove, they all seemed worthless and more of a safety hazard then help outside of keeping most of the rain out. Not like we had a sealed door after all.

HTH
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing the same kit-attempting to show the windows down. I'd use white glue. Takes a bit of time but works well enough. Do you happen to be doing an OC/T vehicle?
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 06:12 AM UTC
Ryan has got a good idea with using Future. I use it for small PE PARTS as well. Try that and see if it works.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 05:55 PM UTC
Future does work, albeit, because it is thin and self-leveling, I have found that it can easily get out of control and make a mess... I've tried solvent cements and the "capillary action" route... IF it remains under control, solvent cements also work - but they can get all over your "glass", and once that happens... no more clear window.

I've found white glue - which is water-thinnable - works well and can be made as thin as you want it while generally being pretty solid as a glue and never fogs or otherwise fouls your "window".

As others have pointed out, several glues and substances do work, and there are myriad sources of clear plastic to explore - a wide range of thicknesses is available, and there are actually a few different plastic types among the "clear items"... which means that some may well do better with one glue over another.

Options! Try out some and find which work best for what you want!

Cheers! Bob
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm doing the same kit-attempting to show the windows down. I'd use white glue. Takes a bit of time but works well enough. Do you happen to be doing an OC/T vehicle?

Hi Rob,
I have several Softtop HMMWV`s on plan. Of course, an OC/T from JMRC is one of it. I had the pleasure to take a joyride into one.
 _GOTOTOP