_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Ideas Please
archaicguy70
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hey guys..... Just finishing up this model and starting on a small display base and I'm totally lost right now. I for the life of me can not think about what to add to the display so I come to the professionals to get input.

So give me your ideas, I'm totally open. I did this little subject to test out some new products and techniques so I'm just wanting to keep it somewhat simple and not looking to spend a ton of hours on the build

Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr

Untitled by Jeff, on Flickr
southpier
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 02:22 PM UTC
ok; i'll take one for the team here. is it in mud or snow?
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 03:34 PM UTC
Nice job Jeff and I thought I was the only guy in the entire world who’d ever built the C7P! Here’s what I did with it (re-purposed by Russian arty at Kursk)...

But yours looks like it’s lost its tracks in what I’m guessing must be snow. It’s a Polish artillery tractor but your replacement precludes putting a howitzer nearby & I’m not sure finding a Polish field piece is that easy anyway. It was obviously used by Polish forces in Sept/Oct 1939 (so your summer camo scheme is perfect)…maybe a couple of over-coated German infantry could be looking at this derelict a few months later during the winter – maybe they’ve just driven up in a white-washed Kubelwagen?

Alternatively you could just go ghoulish and put a couple of decomposing Polish soldiers peeping through the snow

archaicguy70
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 - 11:26 PM UTC
It will actually be a bit muddy ideally, I'm thinking a soft field after a fresh rain. It is just the first base layer that I put down so it dried light and the camera showed it even lighter than it is. I wanted to get ideas on fencing, a small building, rock wall, any terrain features before I put grass and dirt down. I should have been more informative about it just being the base start.

Wow Tim, I sure wouldn't have thought I'd see another one either. Super job, I love the accessories. I bought it long ago...assembled it and then for whatever reason (likely for bigger tougher meaner subjects) I boxed it and stored it. Now many years later I pulled it out to finish.

It hasn't lost it's tracks I still need to install them and do the final weathering, I just wanted to get started on the base.
I still have to install the tracks and final weathering
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi,if you turn your vehicke around it coyld be towing an artillery piece. Alternatively you could have an artillery piece in frontcof it in firing position.

Another option is a German half-track being readied to recover it.Or a couple of smaller German vehicles passing in front of an abandoned vehcle driven off the road and out of the way of the advancing troops.

Regards Jason
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 06:49 AM UTC
If it's appropriate for the location, you could put in some sort of road sign.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 07:26 AM UTC
It is a fairly large base for the size of the vehicle, so your challenge will be to make it less bare and more interesting. A fence requires something on the other side. A large base also calls out for figures to add life.

You could have part of a ruined building, which you can make up from plaster yourself, or a barn from wood strip, low cost.

Ideas:

the remnant of an abandoned observation/artillery pit? Add some soil on top of what you have to create a berm that they hid behind:

and add a discarded tarp (maybe a shredded one from returned artillery fire?)

You could even have the remnant of an aircraft that crashed. It does not have to be recognisable, just a jumble of wing parts made from flat styrene stock and wire.

Google for inspiration.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 07:33 AM UTC
I always remind myself that a diorama must tell a story. What story can you tell with a damaged tractor?

A repair effort?
Being inspected by the enemy?
After the battle? (Abandoned among the debris)

All come to mind...

Good luck
 _GOTOTOP