_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
"One T-34/85, Lightly Roasted"
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 09:57 AM UTC
The Dragon T-34/85 is relatively easy to build, but I want one knocked out during the Korean War. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to depict a burned out tank, and I wanted to do one only partially burned rather than burned out into scrap, as I want it to still be recognizable as such.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC
Tom, your best bet would be to use the search here and just look at how others have done what you want to do. The problem as I see it is there aren't many lightly roasted T-34/85's in Korea seen in pictures. Most seemed to have been reduced to chard scrap by the T-34 paranoid UN forces.

As a suggestion for your idea, just paint the tank like you want and blacken and blister the turret and the hull close to the turret. If you keep the hatches closed it would resemble a tank where low oxygen smothered a fire after the heat cooked the turret, but did not ignite everything. Not common, but I've seen something like that with a few T-34/76's in WWII.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 11:17 AM UTC
I saw one such picture in a book about Korean War armor, where the tank had obviously burned but still was otherwise outwardly intact. I was hoping to see a color example so I'll know how it's supposed to look.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 05:35 PM UTC
Burn-outs often had all the rubber burned off the wheels - turned into very light ash. Super-heated steel generally becomes quite rusty, and paint is blackened and turned into ash, so a well-burned tank might, for example, have a mostly rusted turret with blackened bits and ash for the remaining paint.

There are a fair number of color photos of burned-out T-55 tanks and the like in Iraq and elsewhere - these are of course later machines then that T-34/85, but the burned-out look should be quite comparable, so these pics could be a useful guide for the coloration and soot and smoke patterns seen on hulks.
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 08:28 PM UTC
Have a look at this: http://put.url.herehttp://www.scalewarmachines.com/allcontent/lifecolor-burned-set-cs19 , hopefully it will help.
P
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 09:20 PM UTC
Working link

http://www.scalewarmachines.com/allcontent/lifecolor-burned-set-cs19

This Korean War one still have the roadwheels rubber intact (on one side at least...) :

H.P.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 10:50 PM UTC
I was thinking along the lines of the bottom one.

I also read that many of the tanks got the US Air Force napalm treatment.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the bottom one the tires are undamaged, as is the road side vegetation. That would have to be a particularly accurate napalm strike. I suspect the two frontal penetrations had more to do with the tank's demise.

KL
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 06:32 AM UTC
A burned tank often has its suspensions fully compressed because of the effect of the heat on the springs.

pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 06:35 AM UTC
A partial burn would seem to be suggested by the apparent collapse of the right side in the last picture.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

On the bottom one the tires are undamaged, as is the road side vegetation. That would have to be a particularly accurate napalm strike. I suspect the two frontal penetrations had more to do with the tank's demise.

KL

I definitely want to depict one knocked out by another tank, such as a Pershing.

I figured that ones actually reduced to total wrecks, like the third picture, were ones hit by napalm.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I figured that ones actually reduced to total wrecks, like the third picture, were ones hit by napalm.

The third one isn't from Korea, and the front (note gun tube) was not burned. The combination of napalm and T-34-85s was quite rare after Korea.

KL
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The third one isn't from Korea, and the front (note gun tube) was not burned.

This T-34-85 tank was destroyed by Croatian troops in Karlovac, Croatia, near the cease-fire line, in 1992.

The two T-34's below have been knocked out by USMC Pershings near Obong-Ni Ridge, Korea on 17 August 1950,

Just like these near Yongsan on 3—4 September 1950 :

H.P.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC
I did a burnt-out T62 and had not done a burned tank before. I found some decent color pictures of the burnt-out T62. The scorched and burnt paint had many different color variations. The rubber was burned off 4 of the road wheels and the turret was ajar. I approached the build by not finding what others did (pre-internet) instead I looked at the pictures and said how could I replicate what I saw. I started with the damage to the tank, then The road wheels followed by the painting. I used baking soda for the burnt ash.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 - 04:19 AM UTC
Steve Zaloga did a build of a burned out NKPA T-34-85 in Mil Mod some years ago. Worth looking out as he includes, as usual, some historical info. Nice model too - mostly rusty, with burned tyres.
 _GOTOTOP