_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Opel Blitz 8-holed Wheel Rims
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hello. I've studied the Dragon kit 6828 this morning and with all the lovely detail to gaze at, it comes with the option to use 6-holed Wheel Rims for the 3t 4x2 Cargo Truck, or the version with the 2cm Flak 38, using the 8-holed Wheel Rims.
Decided to check my stash, as I can not walk yet and my right leg needs a lot of rest, I can not sit at the bench, so I make detailed plans for every kit I have.

Now I'm sure this topic has passed over the years. But, as from which date / year were the 8-holed Wheel Rims in use, standard, etc...

My plans for this (excellent) Opel Blitz:
I want to build the truck without the Flak 38.instead towing a trailer.
From Minor I have this PE sheet (with the reinforcement for the leaf springs) I want to use.
The kit has the option to show the engine in all its glory. Very nice detail on the front of the truck to open the engine hood from both sides.
It will have maintenance crew to check the engine.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Robert Jan

From http://www.v2rocket.com/start/scale/fr/blitz-conversion.html :

"The 3 ton "S"-type Blitz as we know it from the Italeri-model was first introduced in 1936. In 1939 Opel changes a small but significant detail; the dealers complain about the number of wheel nuts being broken by customers. Opel meets these complaints by raising the number of nuts from 6 to 8. Significant, I hear you thinking? Yes! The curve in the wheel and the number of holes in the wheels changes with it."

I wish you a speedy recovery

H.P.

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 08:17 PM UTC
Thanks H.P.
Makes sense if one takes a better look at the rims. Details of the kit are very nice.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC
That was a Blitz answer I did not posess. I knew it was at the very least late war but did not know when or why.

Thanks Frenchy.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2019 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Robert Jan

From http://www.v2rocket.com/start/scale/fr/blitz-conversion.html :

"The 3 ton "S"-type Blitz as we know it from the Italeri-model was first introduced in 1936. In 1939 Opel changes a small but significant detail; the dealers complain about the number of wheel nuts being broken by customers. Opel meets these complaints by raising the number of nuts from 6 to 8. Significant, I hear you thinking? Yes! The curve in the wheel and the number of holes in the wheels changes with it."

I wish you a speedy recovery

H.P.

After thinking about it, this makes sense. GMC/Chevrolet/Opel used a rather small lug and lug nut on their civilian trucks.

Compare the Ford 5 lug pattern to the Opel 6/8 pattern and you can see the Ford studs are larger, with much larger lug nuts.
 _GOTOTOP